Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping on back? Or side? Can't remember!

(10 Posts)
peppapigonaloop Sun 02-Nov-14 21:24:37

You would think I would remember as this is DC3 but I can't think when I am supposed to be sleeping on my side or if I can stay on my back to sleep? And is it right side or left side or doesn't it matter?!
Somebody tell me how to sleep please!!

ShatterResistant Sun 02-Nov-14 21:26:24

I expect you'll get uncomfortable on your back soon enough. I did, as early as 16 weeks, I think. And it's left side you're supposed to sleep on.

ShatterResistant Sun 02-Nov-14 21:27:08

(But I think before 16-or-so weeks it doesn't really matter.)

IAmACircle Sun 02-Nov-14 21:27:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pico2 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:32:21

I find it difficult to believe that we evolved with that being a genuine problem.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 02-Nov-14 21:47:55

Left side is "officially" recommended, but either side is acceptable I believe. I even roll onto my back in my sleep and nothing dreadful happens, other than I wake myself up because I'm uncomfortable. I think as long as you're getting adequate rest, that's more helpful than forcing yourself to sleep in an uncomfortable position, and not getting much sleep at all.

enqueue Sun 02-Nov-14 21:48:14

LOL Pico2 that made me snigger!! I think it's mostly our over-analysing, no?! I am 27w and it's only in the last couple of weeks I have managed to talk myself out of sleeping on my back - I never used to be comfy on my back but around 15w when someone told me I shouldn't, I seemed to suddenly find it the absolutely best way to sleep in the world. Ridiculous.

peppapigonaloop Sun 02-Nov-14 21:57:37

Haha yes fair point pico..
I have vague memories of learning the 'rules' with dc1 and then not remembering at all whether they are even relevant! I'm about 22 weeks but finding my breathing not as good on my back so might switch..

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Sun 02-Nov-14 22:00:00

Lie on your front if you like until it starts to be uncomfortable.

Lie on your back if you like until it starts to be uncomfortable.

Then lie on either side and moan like fuck because it's never bloody comfortable

ThisBitchIsResting Mon 03-Nov-14 10:51:05

I'm 9wks and can only get comfy lying on my front! My boobs ache and my tummy is swollen and it all feels more supported that way. I know it's probably not ideal and in a few weeks it won't be comfy anymore anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now