Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Aching Legs in the night

(9 Posts)
Roserouge Sun 02-Nov-14 21:08:24

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice related to leg ache in the night. In the early hours of the morning I am woken by an ache in the leg I am sleeping on. I then turn over and find that soon enough that leg also starts aching. It affects my whole leg and it has meant I haven't had a full nights rest in a couple of months now. The only thing that tends to relieve the pain is standing up and walking around or lying on my back with my knees raised and bent. But I know I shouldn't be on my back.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and if they can offer advice as to what the ache is and what I can do so that it stops? I'm 27 weeks.

Thank you.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 02-Nov-14 23:55:12

Is it muscle cramp? That's generally rather more painful than an ache, though. Feels like your leg is splitting in two!
Try gently massaging your calves before bed (always in the direction of your heart) and make sure you drink enough water. It could be circulation.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 02-Nov-14 23:56:26

Oh and try sleeping with your legs raised up on a couple of pillows.

Maxis1 Mon 03-Nov-14 06:51:25

Have you tried increasing your Magnesum intake?
It works for me.
When my levels get low my legs first get tired & achie and later them muscle craps kick in.
When I am on a bit more Magnesium though my legs are fine.
Al only 26 weeks myself though.

tiggy2610 Mon 03-Nov-14 06:55:23

I have this too sad I spend the night like a rotisserie chicken spinning from one side to the other! Any length of time spent on my side causes me to wake up due to pain in my hips and upper legs, I've tried pillows, painkillers, 3am leg rubs from DH and it doesn't work. MW said it was related to PGP and didn't really offer much of a solution. Will keep an eye on this to see if anyone comes up with some bright ideas cake

silverfishlondon Mon 03-Nov-14 19:37:08

No help but sympathy. I wake up with cramp shouting for husband to press my foot making it better , or, more recently, can't get to sleep for hours due to restless legs and wanting to kick them around. Listening to my hypnobirthing thing finally got me to sleep last night ..

Heartburn247 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:41:58

Hello,
I am 34 weeks and have been suffering the same. I found that magnesium tablets really helped and now I have one an hour before bed every single night. I too spoke to my midwife and she pretty much said its normal and get on with it!

UML Mon 03-Nov-14 21:19:17

The only thing that keeps me going is a half an hour minimum hot shower every night before sleeping... The day when I feel too tired to get up and delay till morning is when my aches disturb me...

I haven't got a bath tub otherwise I would be having lots of soaks too!

Roserouge Mon 03-Nov-14 21:40:55

Thanks for your help ladies, even if it is to know that others are feeling the same thing. Think I might mention it to my midwife next week at 28 week appointment but I am also expecting that she'll say its to be expected : /
Shall post here if I get anything different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now