Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwifes

(15 Posts)
Mummywithlove Sun 02-Nov-14 12:43:43

how far do u have to be before the midwife start doing home visits?? im 34 weeks and i have only had 1 home visit and they keep wanting me to go to them,??

DanceToJoyDivision Sun 02-Nov-14 12:46:33

It depends what is normal for your area. I never had any home visits for either of my pregnancies and always saw my midwife at my GP surgery.

Have you asked your midwife about this?

barmybunting Sun 02-Nov-14 12:49:58

Mine only do home visits after the birth. All antenatal appointments are at the GP surgery or hospital here.

HorraceTheOtter Sun 02-Nov-14 12:50:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

andadietcoke Sun 02-Nov-14 13:09:37

No home visits for me either until after the birth.

AmandaTanen Sun 02-Nov-14 13:15:43

None until after the birth. Supposed to get a home visit from a health visitor but that's hasn't happened either just a quick phone call.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 02-Nov-14 13:19:21

Same here - no home visits until after birth.

duvetfan Sun 02-Nov-14 13:33:00

ds 2 is a week old. here you only get home visits after the baby arrives. There isn't really any need for a home visit until after you have the baby.

Elvish Sun 02-Nov-14 13:35:00

I had a home visit with DC2 but i was having a home birth so they wanted to check we had a roof over our heads I suppose. Didn't have a home visit with DC1 until baby was home with me.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 02-Nov-14 14:07:19

Generally not until after the baby is born, however if you are having problems getting out of the house for some reason (e.g. PGP/SPD), then they are usually happy to see you at home if you ask nicely.

TeaandHobnobs Sun 02-Nov-14 16:39:12

In my first pregnancy I was with a caseload team, with a named midwife, and I'd say she came out to my house about half the time. On one occasion, our appointment tied up with one of the antenatal classes, so it made sense to have it at the clinic as we were both going to be there anyway. I only got to 29 weeks before I ended up in hospital, so no idea how it would have been later on.

This time, I'm with a community midwife through the GP surgery, and all my appointments with her are at the surgery. I'm at an out of area hospital, so no chance of home visits with them anyway.

twiglet2 Sun 02-Nov-14 16:39:18

One home visit at 34 weeks. I doubt they could fit everyone in if they had to do multiple home visits when you factor in travelling time etc.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 02-Nov-14 16:48:06

No home visits here except the first one after the birth. My midwife was 8 miles away and I had to travel there even for my 41 week appointment/sweep.

ladyflower23 Sun 02-Nov-14 17:58:45

I had all my ante natal at the surgery then 2 postnatal visits at home then the rest at clinics.

FruitBadger Sun 02-Nov-14 20:55:58

My booking in appt was at home, but I got the impression that was as much a safeguarding thing in my local area - checking you had a home etc. My 38 week appt next week will be at home but that's only because I'm hoping for a homebirth so they need to drop off equipment and do a risk assessment, my 40 week appt will be back at the GP surgery. The Health Visitor came to the house last week, but again I think that was a check up for safeguarding etc too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now