Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2nd sweep 2 hours ago... What shall I do now?

(27 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:35:13

Midwife said it was very effective and advised me to stay on my feet as much as I can for the rest of the day to encourage labour. To be honest it was very painful and my legs are really shaky now. Standing and walking is just quite difficult. Bouncing on my gym ball whilst leaning forwards onto bed is ok though... Is this enough?? Don't want to waste the opportunity to get things moving.

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Sun 02-Nov-14 12:40:43

I have never heard that about a sweep and personally I would say that, if it results in you being knackered going into labour, it's bad advice. I was told the opposite, to get in as much rest as possible in case it kicked things off (though I did have two older ones, so maybe the midwife knew that would mean a few rests, not a whole day on the sofa!).

DarylDixonsDarlin Sun 02-Nov-14 12:44:00

Ironing helped me along, standing but not too strenuous! I had also popped in to Tesco for a few last minute bits. Tbh tho if you are feeling shaky its probably going to kick off soon, so don't wear yourself out - good luck! wink

Jodie1982 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:41:21

Carry on as you usually would, seeing as your over due this Sweep should do the trick (in my previous pregnancies they did once overdue). By this evening I'm sure things should start happening. Have a nice bath, wash your hair etc put your feet up. Shall be checking in now n then, fingers crossed!

Bellyrub1980 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:59:49

Thanks for that advice. The idea of not going for a long walk is music to my ears.

Now just feeling pathetic and a bit emotional over nothing (unusual for me...). But also feel like I should man-up and take advantage of the opportunity to stimulate labour. Might rest here on my ball for a bit and then walk down the road and back.

Also, slightly concerned that I have a totally naff pain threshold. But there was quite a lot of blood afterwards (and a fair bit now, like a period) so I guess it makes sense it would hurt when they're separating a membrane.

Jodie1982 Sun 02-Nov-14 14:49:53

Your in no way being pathetic. Your tired n fed up of waiting, once it all starts happening you will just go with the flow and let it all happen. These last few wks have been hard wrk and now you just want it all over. It's going to happen. And once it does you'll be just fine. I recommend Gas and Air, lovely stuff! (Was for me everytime anyway lol) and that Euphoric feeling once bubby is in your arms is amazing! It's indescribable, nothing else compares to it. (I'm smiling now remembering every one of my moments of holding baby for 1st time smile ) Good luck. I shall keep popping in.

BumpOct2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 15:51:55

Just spotted this - good luck that you'll soon be holding baby smile

Bondy83 Sun 02-Nov-14 16:18:16

Have diamorphine it's fab it's your really drunk you can feel the pain but are too off your head to do anything about it. Good luck hope you start off soon x

Bellyrub1980 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:58:57

Thank you! Have managed to be a bit more productive since my last post! Will definitely post if anything exciting happens! x

Bellyrub1980 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:05:20

bondy I've been thinking about the diamorphine. I don't know any women who have taken it so haven't been able to ask questions. Must admit the idea appeals to me in as much as it keeps you calm but you can still feel contractions and push.

Did you think your baby was effected by it at all? I think I remember one of the 'cons' we discussed in our ante natal class was that it can make the baby drowsy. But surely they wouldn't give you something that could potentially harm the baby?!

Did it effect latching on at all?

(PS not judging your choice by the way, genuinely curious and seriously considering it as an option)

Bondy83 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:06:43

I had it with both of mine, 1st time I had a very long labour(39hrs) &it helped me get some rest as I didn't want an epidural. 2nd time in hindsight I shouldn't of had it cos I was so close to the end when I asked for it and it had only just kicked in as I had him. I think it went straight to the baby as I had him at 9pm I was put on a ward at midnight baby was asleep & I remember going to the midwife at 7am concerned he was still asleep! The midwife however was not concerned at all by this having said that he has always been a great sleeper so maybe it had nothing to do with the diamorphine. When I had it the 1st time I remember lying on the bed I could hear baby's heartbeat on the monitor and my mum n husband talking but it was like I was in a club & the heartbeat was the beat of the music and I was too drunk to join in the conversation lol.

Jodie1982 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:16:01

Think I'm going to give Diamorphine a go nxt time round! Sounds rather helpful, I usually just use Gas + Air, fancy something different nxt time. Hope all is going okay BellyRub? I'm sending you Labour Vibes!

ElleOhElle Sun 02-Nov-14 20:40:53

bellyrub I would say if things are going to happen soon they will whether you're resting or on your feet so I would say rest as much as possible! my 1st labour was very long and I was exhausted by then end because I didn't rest enough. maybe if you relax then things will kick in when u least expect them to! good luck grin

Boysclothes Sun 02-Nov-14 20:43:16

Pin your OH down and have a shag, then go to sleep.

I have to say IME, the pain of a sweep was nothing like labour. A sweep was a horrible deep sicky pain, contractions were more like a building pressure and very handleable. I hated my sweep but labour was fine!

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 03:02:23

Thanks for that smile I feel a lot more positive now than I did earlier. Even though it's 3am! That really sharp pain has eased off.

boysclothes We've DTD every other night for the last week. But unfortunately there's no way we could have today. I'm still bleeding from the sweep and now starting to lose plug too I think (hard to tell in dim bathroom economy light that takes 30mins to get going!!)

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 03:07:00

Its really good to hear labour pain is different. I know pain is pain and we all have to go through it... But 24-48 hours of that pain would be impossible I think. It would take one hell of a hypnobirthing mantra anyway!!! Which is why I was starting to think maybe I should seriously consider some hard core pain relief... Esp with induction looming!!

No contractions here at the moment....!

Jodie1982 Mon 03-Nov-14 09:30:07

Oh no. Get out the Eviction papers lol! Stubborn lil bubby! How many days over due are you? My longest was 6days over n that's was bloody awful.
Sweep pain is nothing like Labour pains so don't worry about that.
Fingers crossed for something to happen today. X

Bondy83 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:14:19

1 good thing about induction for me with ds2 was it cut out all the hours of slow labour beforehand I was 8.5hrs from having the gel to delivery so comparing that with the 39hrs with ds1 I'd take induction any day.

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:36:30

I'm 8 days over now. Have to say though... I feel so much better today! Better than I have for weeks Infact! No pain at all and loads of energy!

Blimey my pregnant body is fickle!!

Good to hear a positive spin on the induction process! 5 days and I'll be in hospital! Yay!!!

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Mon 03-Nov-14 13:40:50

a sudden burst of energy is often a sign labour is imminent. Good sign. smile

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:49:40

Really?! Oh god I hope so!!

I've just started another thread about loose bowels blush.

Okay.... Hopes are rising! Must distract myself with some yoga!!

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Mon 03-Nov-14 13:56:51

Oh yes, well known. I had it with DD2.

Loose bowels is a very common sign. Sounds a lot like your body is gearing up. Could still be a day or two, but it's gearing up.

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:58:59

That was my question on the other thread... How long between the bowels and the contractions.

Ok, I shall try to stay patient.

I swear I have the ability to bring on a BH just by thinking about it!!!

Allstoppedup Mon 03-Nov-14 13:59:49

Bellyrub hope things are kicking off for you! Just read your thread and wanted to add I was induced at 42 weeks (little buggar well and truly wanted to stay put!) I had a really positive induction experience and had diamorphine during. It was great stuff so can recommend it entirely! DS was sleepy at birth but to be honest, I'm not sure if that was just because he was 'dragged out of bed' before he was ready so to speak. I laboured for 9 hours, had my first shot of diamorphine fairly early on then a smaller dose probably about 2 hours before he was born. It helped immensely and he latched straight away and stayed on for 40 minutes so clearly didn't have an effect there!

I'm all excited for you! A brand new squishy, how fun! Good luck. thanks

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:02:44

That's great to hear Allstoppedup! I'm planning activities for every day this week to ensure I don't go crazy waiting!!!

Thanks for your take on the diamorphine. I'm paranoid about an epidural resulting in forceps.

Although, to be honest, when the time comes I really don't think I'll care now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now