Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu jab - after effects...

(25 Posts)
ChocolateBiscuitCake Sun 02-Nov-14 11:29:14

I had the flu jab on Friday (14 weeks) and woke on Saturday with a pretty unpleasant headache and felt tired). Went out for dinner with friends last night and had to pull over to be sick on the way home (nice!). Today, I feel awful - headache, utter exhaustion, watery eyed...
I assume this is the flu jab? Has anyone else suffered with side effects and how long did they last. 3dc are still on half term tomorrow and not sure how I will cope as DH will be back at work sad

SomeSunnySunday Sun 02-Nov-14 11:47:32

I had the flu and whooping cough jags at the same time, at 9am on a Thursday. I felt pretty ropey on the Friday and Saturday (much as you describe - I wasn't actually sick, but felt that I could be, and was headachy and exhausted), but fine by the Sunday.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Sun 02-Nov-14 11:50:35

Thank you - just what I needed to hear! Fingers crossed it lifts by tomorrow.

tiggy2610 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:55:06

I had my flu jab on a Saturday morning and ended up taking the Monday and Tuesday off work due to feeling so rotten. Although my GP thinks I was unlucky enough to have already caught the office bug and have it brewing before the flu jab as it shouldn't make you poorly. hmm

woodwaj Sun 02-Nov-14 12:42:57

I had mine almost 2 weeks ago. Apart from a mild ache where he did it i had no side effects

donkir Sun 02-Nov-14 12:49:26

I had mine a few weeks back too and other than a sore, itchy arm for a few days I had no other side effects. I believe the whooping cough one is meant to make you feel a bit yucky.

LizzieMint Sun 02-Nov-14 12:49:54

I had a terrible headache for a day or so but that was it. My Dds due hers this week, last time she had it she crashed on the sofa within a few hours and that lasted 24 hours.

leanne963 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:51:02

I had the flu jab Wednesday and I felt awful Friday and Saturday, only starting to feel a bit better now! Take some paracetamol and warm lemon water that helped me!

LizzieMint Sun 02-Nov-14 12:51:14

Forgot to say when I had the jab, the chap said 50% of people feel grotty afterwards but it usually doesn't last very long

Jodie1982 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:36:32

Didn't go for my flu jab, I've only ever had it once yrs ago, I'm glad I didn't have it as well all ive heard is preggy mums getting Ill afterwards!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 02-Nov-14 15:31:14

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago. No side effects whatsoever, not even a sore arm.

Chloris33 Sun 02-Nov-14 16:07:59

I had it and didn't have any side effects whatsoever. I was told by the nurse it can briefly make you feel mildly unwell. It sounds to me like you have a bug - there's loads going around at the moment. I've just had an unpleasant cold that also gave me an upset stomach, and DH had it too.

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Sun 02-Nov-14 17:10:06

I had it 10 days ago, arm a little sore for a couple of days but no other effects.

VainVulva Sun 02-Nov-14 17:53:00

I had mine a few weeks ago, felt really tired the next day but then perfect.

Though I have been DYING with the flu fir the last week, I cannot remember the last time I have ever been so ill sad

So I'm a bit hmm about the flu jab!

LouiseBrooks Sun 02-Nov-14 18:03:03

I had mine 2/3 weeks ago and absolutely no problems, same as last year. However in the past I have had issues; one year I had my jab, went shopping and felt fine, got home and by about 7.00pm felt dreadful and went to bed for two days. I also had that happen a few years ago.

I think it depends on which flu virus they give you but equally I've never been pregnant when I've had it and I'm not sure how much difference that makes. Of course the one year I didn't have the jab was the year I got the worst dose of (real) flu I've ever had.

ffallada Sun 02-Nov-14 18:31:07

The flu jab does not contain the live virus so its impossible to catch flu from it. If you feel grotty after the jab its because you caught a bug before you went for it.

beth1987 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:38:55

Another one with no side effects to give people hope. Actually I felt better than I had done for days! I also though that it didn't contain a live vaccine so shouldn't make you ill but nurse who gave me it said you could feel a bit flu ey for a few days just take some paracetamol.

M27J5M Sun 02-Nov-14 18:41:39

I got mine on Friday, had a mega sore arm yest but felt ok, ill today tho, headache,feeling sick without actually being sick, and just exhausted

AnythingNotEverything Sun 02-Nov-14 18:42:25

I had the flu jab last year and was told it's not a live vaccine, so can't make you feel ill.

TriciaMcM Sun 02-Nov-14 18:43:45

Think it's more likely you picked something up in the waiting room to be honest!

Rockdoctor Sun 02-Nov-14 18:47:11

I had it with no side effects other than a slightly sore arm

DD had it (nasal spray) and came down with a fever two days later. She was poorly for about 24 hours - would have had a day off school if it hadn't been half term - but then fine.

As others have said, I thought the injection was inactive so unlikely to cause flu.

M27J5M Sun 02-Nov-14 18:47:56

Oh and the nurse did tell me I could feel flu-ey for a few days but it'd pass!

Misty414 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:50:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolyQuadrityDrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 02-Nov-14 19:39:11

tiggy I'm eye-rolling at your GP.

Last year, I was out of actions for 2 days after the jab. Sweats, fever, tge works. I'm having mine done tomorrow so if needed I can take Tues and Wed off and DD is at the nursery. How will she get there and back on those days, I don't know hmm

HolyQuadrityDrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 02-Nov-14 19:40:34

Of course it doesn't make you ill with the flu. But the side effects are flu-like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now