Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and career...?

(3 Posts)
DonnaLlyn Sat 01-Nov-14 15:15:10

I'm pregnant and due date is after I graduate uni. I planned this, and I am happy that, rather than being in the situation where I might rush into some new career which I am unsure about, I will be forced to take a back seat for the first time in ages and focus on my family. University has been a bad experience for me and I struggled through every minute of it as I rushed into courses that turned out to be wrong for me and changed courses and dropped out more than once...and only now am I finally graduating after 6 years there. I felt that this would be a good time to have a baby as I have neglected my family life in all my stress, and I want to feel like I have an excuse to take my time to take the next step in my career.

HOWEVER money is tighter than I expected, my other half is suddenly not earning as much as he was previously for complicated reasons. As he is self employed, there is a real chance that his work could earn him a lot of money after he gets additional training in the new year, but all this uncertainty has clouded my joy at finally having a baby and made me worry. I would really love to hear from anyone else how having a baby affected your career.

I am not particularly ambitious, just want a job that I enjoy and mostly want to spend time with my family. I will be keeping my part time evening job anyway, as an extra source of income, until I really start my real career. Also, just to make clear that although the timing of the pregnancy was calculated, please don't think that I am only having the baby as a convenience for myself, I have wanted a child for years now and it has only just seemed like a good time for it, even if it is beginning to look like I was a bit hasty

leanne963 Sat 01-Nov-14 15:28:15

Heya donna i am kind of in a similar situation, i'm a mature student and am also in my final year of Uni. I finish end of May but Baby is due middle of May. Everyone else on my course is discussing all the amazing jobs they will be in this time next year and i am just happy i will have a baby. Don't feel guilty that you would rather a family than a career, not everyone is motivated by a job. My partner is also self employed, luckily he is doing really well and i don't think money is going to be too much of an issue.
I knew i wanted a family asap as i will be leaving uni ages 28 and i didnt want to also rush into a job, then have to wait a few years before we started trying.
Everything will work out and Congratulations, you now have the best job in the world....being a mum. smile

LIG1979 Sat 01-Nov-14 15:46:44

I have a work friend and she had her 1st finishing her PhD and her 2nd a few years later. Now she is late 30 ' s and her kids are fairly independent and she is able to throw herself into her career and enjoy the benefits whilst she is still not too old. So it can work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now