Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vitamins in early pregnancy??

(9 Posts)
LG1979 Fri 31-Oct-14 19:40:38

Hi

Firstly, thanks for reading this!

I've just found out that I'm 5 weeks pregnant. This is my 4th pregnancy, I have miscarried early on with the previous 3 pregnancies. We have recently discovered my vitamin B12 was very low so my GP has put me on a supplement for this on top of the folic acid.

My question is, I am reading a lot about vitamin D and to ensure this is being taken also, is this something I really should be taking?
If so, are Boots own brand ok or should I be speaking to my GP for this before taking it?

Any advice would be great ladies!

Thanks for reading smile

moonblues Fri 31-Oct-14 19:53:31

Hi. Yes the advice is now to take vitamin D as well. I just bought the stuff from Boots, but then the midwife gave me some combined with folic acid when I saw her.

Congratulations and hope it all goes smoothly this time.

SilverStars Fri 31-Oct-14 19:56:55

You can always ask a pharmacist for advice on what to take in pregnancy - they are helpful. There are products for pregnant people that have a safe dose of the right vitamins in and do not have things in you should not have high doses in during pregnancy.

LG1979 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:00:17

Thanks moonblues. Getting my HCG levels monitored and my first scan in 2 weeks but just didn't want to start taking something in case I do any harm!

Thanks! smile

LG1979 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:04:48

Thanks SilverStars. I had tried to get hold of the Boots pharmacist today but they were out at that time. I bought the vitamin D just incase, but I'll check with my local chemist tomorrow I think.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 31-Oct-14 20:15:08

NHS choices say this: "all pregnant and breastfeeding women should take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms (0.01mg) of vitamin D to ensure the mother's requirements for vitamin D are met and to build adequate foetal stores for early infancy"

See here:
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

That dosage is bog standard over the counter vit D.

LG1979 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:50:47

Brilliant, cheers ladies. Think after the previous miscarriages, I'm paranoid in case I do something to harm this pregnancy.

ThisBitchIsResting Fri 31-Oct-14 20:55:28

Why not just take something like Pregnacare, a multivitamin that has everything you need? I take the Superdrug own brand version which is much cheaper and often on offer too.

I've been taking fish oil in this pregnancy too, it helps my dry skin and the pharmacist said it was fine to take in pregnancy and there's some evidence to suggest it strengthens the sac or something, can't quite remember. Not cod liver oil as that's Vit A - a basic omega 3 one.

LG1979 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:59:40

Thanks ThisBitchIsResting, I was questioning the GP about Pregnacare this week and she said as long as I'm on folic acid, and the B12 with me being low on that, I should be fine. But I decided to look into getting the vitamin D as well as so many ladies mentioning online about taking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now