Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Runny eggs past their BB date

(6 Posts)
DecaffTastesWeird Thu 30-Oct-14 13:43:33

I have been flagrantly ignoring the whole runny egg advice during pregnancy as long as the eggs have a lion stamp on them. I merrily munched 2 x runny yolked eggs for lunch today and am now panicking as I noticed their BB date was a week ago! So annoyed with myself for not checking the packet. Blame baby brain for carelessness. Is this anything to worry about? Do I need to do anything about it like call the MW?

purplefeathers Thu 30-Oct-14 13:57:21

I think the thing with eggs is that you wouldn't be able to eat them if they were off because they'd be foul. So
my guess is you'll probably be absolutely fine.

Have you got any of the same batch left? If so drop them in some water. If they sink they're fine to eat anyway.

DecaffTastesWeird Thu 30-Oct-14 13:58:07

Oh I do have one left purple. Thanks, will go and check.

DecaffTastesWeird Thu 30-Oct-14 14:02:24

Well it sank but with one end slightly elevated... They definitely didn't smell bad - I cracked the last one into a bowl and it doesn't smell of anything at all... Hopefully that's fine? I think it's only salmonella which they worry about with eggs isn't it? And I don't think that harms babies just stupid pregnant ladies who can't read BB dates

purplefeathers Thu 30-Oct-14 14:07:53

It sounds like it was absolutely fine. I think eggs can be okay for a long time after their bb date. And yes, my understanding is that the main concern with eggs is salmonella which isn't an issue when they're lion stamped anyway.

No need to worry!

DecaffTastesWeird Thu 30-Oct-14 14:10:06

Thank you very much purple. That's really reassuring. Sigh. Panic abated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now