Induction or wait for baby??(15 Posts)
Just after a little advice but hopefully not sounding like I'm complaining.
I'm 40+3 today and not a sign of baby being on the way yet
I went for a sweep on Monday (due date) but midwife couldn't do it as cervix soft but closed. I'm at the hospital today for another scan (other medical issues throughout pregnancy, all under control/fine but consultant just keeping an eye on me) and the consultant said he could book my induction today or we could wait until 42/3 weeks if I wanted to.
Just don't know what to do. I had wanted to go to the birthing centre and use the pool, but obviously induction means the labour ward.
Hubby is happy for me to wait and let things start naturally but I'm eager to meet little 'un. Plus I feel like I'm wasting my maternity leave as I am only taking 5 months off due to money (I am aware that sounds silly and I'm just being impatient!) and this is week 2 of maternity leave.
So, having written that all out I'm tempted to wait and see but maybe book my induction for about a weeks time?
What would you do?
Personally I'd wait. I did with my son I refused sweeps etc as I believe they come when they're ready to.
I think booking an induction for 40+10ish sounds perfectly reasonable. I'm sure that if you get there and feel that things are starting to happen on their own and you'd rather wait, the hospital will push it back a few days. I went 11 days overdue with DC1, and started to get really tetchy about it. My hospital don't book inductions until a day or two before, so I had one booked for 40+11, but it wasn't booked until I was 40+9 (hope you can follow that!) and I found it all a bit stressful (in the end I went into labour at 40+10, and DC arrived on induction day but all of his own accord).
If you are feeling OK, I'd wait it out and spend a week or two sleeping! That is definitely not wasted time.
Hiya! Replying in part because I was due the day before you and still no baby so we're in the same boat! I had a sweep on Sunday which didn't have any effect.
My midwife has said she'll do a second sweep at 41 weeks and then start process induction at 42 weeks if that doesn't work. She hasn't said in detail what that means but I assume they wouldn't go straight for the drip? Maybe a pessary first?
I'm trying to think how would I react if I was offered an induction sooner than the 42 week mark, and although I'd be VERY VERY tempted I think I'd probably decline for the same reasons you're not sure. I'd rather have a natural, active birth unless my or the babies health dictated otherwise.
However, at 42 weeks I'd go for it!
There's probably no right or wrong answer here though. I know my baby is likely to be on the smallish side so an extra few weeks of growth won't be a problem, but if they told me I'm having a whopper I might be more tempted.
The other thing is that I've heard inductions can, by their nature, be more painful because the contractions come on so suddenly. This may or may not bother you. I'm a massive pansy though!!
I've become so massively impatient recently and obsessed with natural methods to induce labour (mainly exercises) and have worn myself out! So I've had to mentally readjust my due date till the 9th of November and just distract myself till then! Midwife has ordered me to rest!
I think leaving an induction until as late a possible is a good idea.
Ditto previous poster who said SLEEP!
I was induced at the birthing centre and could have used the pool (if I hadn't gone for an epidural after 12 hours!). Are you sure that you wouldn't be able to?
Personally, I'm too impatient and I'd be going for the early induction. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for all the replies
Sleep - not my friend at the moment I'm usually so active that the last weeks of work were frustrating as I wasn't doing much and I think I'm slowly going stir crazy at home! Done all the tidying/sorting/nesting that I can do and feeling very bored!! (I know I'll wish for that soon).
Bellyrub I'm pleased you replied as I was wondering how you were doing. Baby was thought to be on large size but two weeks ago, scan put them at 7lb 10 so I'm not too worried about leaving them for a little while longer.
Gingetandcocoa we asked consultant where I would go if induced and he said labour ward
kitkat321 I have moments where I'm sooo impatient that I just want them out!!
I want to get out and buy them some more clothes as we bought the bare minimum as there was some concern/uncertainty about baby's size (and I know growth scans can be unreliable so I'm waiting to see what size they are before I buy any more clothes.
Plus I don't know if it's a boy or girl and get wrong off hubby for looking at more boyish clothes! (I'm not a pink person lol
If you are still comfortable then I'd wait - I'm 35 weeks now and really struggling to sleep/walk about etc hence I'd be quite happy for my lo to appear on time so that I can stop walking like a constipated penguin!!!
There are obviously other things you can try though to see if that kicks starts things - hot curry, pineapple, raspberry leaf tea, sex etc
That might help at least psychologically as you'll feel that you are taking action but without having to be induced.
Think I've tried everything to get labour started but as someone else said, they won't come until they're ready.
I'm not TOO uncomfortable, just getting fed up with not being able to do things. Plus I think hubby is starting to get (quietly) annoyed when I try to move in bed lol
Ha ha - I'm the same at night - switching from one side to the other is like a military operation for me and god help me when I need to get up during the night to go to the toilet - our bed is really low down so my current technique is to roll off onto my hands and knees and then stand up - it's a lovely sight!!!
Well, induction booked for the end of next week if baby doesn't put in an appearance.
I think it's the best of both - gives them time to come out of their own accord but also means if they don't, induction is booked a few days before 42 weeks.
Join the discussion
Please login first.