Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just SOOOOO itchy :(

(19 Posts)
MrsLilac Thu 30-Oct-14 08:33:56

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm really suffering from itchiness. I am itchy all over my body ALL THE TIME. it is driving me crazy. I have very sensitive skin anyway so have always been somewhat of an itchy person but this is just crazy. My midwife said its due to hormones or extra blood in the body. Is there ANYTING I can do. I'm miserable!

Littlefrenchmummy Thu 30-Oct-14 08:37:08

I was very itchy !!
I found hydrating cream like cocoa butter helped, does it help you?
(also have you told your MW?)

Nerris Thu 30-Oct-14 08:40:06

Get yourself checked out ASAP for a condition called cholestasis. I had it in both pregnancies. the first time I diagnosed myself because the midwife (of 30 years experience) told me it was my "skin stretching" when I complained of itching on my palms hmm.

If the midwife is a bit useless book an appointment at your GP for a blood test, just to rule it out.

MrsLilac Thu 30-Oct-14 09:02:54

Hmmm, thanks so much for the responses. I was at the midwife yesterday and she brushed it off. I have really itchy palms actually. They're my itchiness part. I got a standard blood test yesterday, would they be testing for Cholestisis or would I have to ask for it specifically? Il call my gp I think just to check.

I have tried coconut oil which is my usual moisturiser as cocoa butter and anything like that I can't use.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 30-Oct-14 09:13:45

It sounds like it might be a good idea to be checked for cholestasis- they would need to check your liver function with blood tests so why don't you ring your midwife to ask if these were done yesterday. Cholestasis symptoms tend to get worse at night too, so you should probably mention this if this is the case for you (as well as the palms)

MrsLilac Thu 30-Oct-14 09:17:31

Yes it does get worse at night... Ok thanks so much. Think it needs checking out.

Katnipp Thu 30-Oct-14 09:46:38

It's worth looking at the icp support website or Facebook group. May help feeling more informed when speaking to mw. The number of times I read about mw dismissing itching as nothing serious amazes me!

Littlefrenchmummy Thu 30-Oct-14 10:37:22

My MW brushed it off too, they came be so dismissive sometimes.
If you feel something isn't right you should call again and speak to someone else.

Mine was worse at night too, palm of hands, tummy and ankles and feet, so so itchy. It drove me insane and lasted about 10 days and then faded away. So random x

martie1 Thu 30-Oct-14 10:55:00

Definitely get this checked out. They need to take blood tests from you, one to test your liver function and another called a bile acid test. For the bile acid test you have to be fasting (albeit my hospital has only asked me to fast from 12 midnight til 8am, they then test at 8am, so the fasting is manageable). So far I don't seem to have cholestisis, the two bile acid tests Ive had done have been normal, but Ive had one raised liver function test and my hospital wants two normal ones in a row. So im back again next week for my hundredth (or so!) blood test, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Im also getting regular check ups by the consultant, every two weeks or so. Do not let the mw fob you off.

You can take an antihistamine, I take piriton, and in fact the hospital told me to take this. I try and keep it to a minimum though, to when im going really crazy, like this morning. My hands and feet are itchy but I am itchy all over. The other thing I can recommend is making yourself an oatmeal bath (check the internet for recommended quantities), it really calmed me down one evening when I was going crazy and was in such a foul mood because of it. Also try to wear loose and cool clothing, I try to avoid a lot of heat where possible. Also no pjs in bed and warn your dh/dp that this is not a come on!!

Im also 34 weeks so totally understand your pain.

martie1 Thu 30-Oct-14 10:56:17

btw, ive also had this fade away and then return with vengeance a couple of days later. I see no rhyme nor reason why its really bad some days and then fine other days but I do try to avoid citrus incase it is exacerbating it.

FelixFelix Thu 30-Oct-14 11:01:22

Yes please push to get tested. My MW almost wouldn't test me as apparently it's quite rare but she finally caved in and contacted the hospital. I did have cholestasis and had to take tablets to regulate my bile acid levels. I had blood tests every week and was induced at 37 weeks. The tablets reduced the itching too!! Hopefully it's nothing but you're better off being tested for it.

Miffy79 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:22:32

I feel your pain! I had awful itchy skin, but seems to have calmed down.. for now. I found piriton helped as it also helped me sleep (but I only took it rarely), and I also got Aveeno skin relief cream, the one with cooling menthol in it as well, and slathered myself in that. It seemed to take the edge off.

MrsLilac Thu 30-Oct-14 15:41:10

Wow thanks again ladies. I ended up calling my doctors today as I was going insane and they had me come in for a blood test and were very unimpressed that the MW had fobbed me off, especially as I was having a routine blood test yesterday anyway at the hospital. Never mind. Hopefully I will find out soon. It is so irritating. I am trying hard to resist the urge to sit naked itching my whole body ;)

whiteblankpage Thu 30-Oct-14 15:45:58

I had terrible itchiness with my previous two pregnancies, which so far with this one is only intermittent.
The only thing that really helped me was a warm bath with porridge oats in it, like you do for a little one with chicken pox. Followed by calamine, I could usually get enough relief to have a few hours sleep.
HTH

FelixFelix Thu 30-Oct-14 15:53:28

Lilac at least if it is cholestasis the pills should calm down the itching. I remember it well! It was awful!!

SoonToBeSix Thu 30-Oct-14 15:58:20

Hope you get results soon, very unprofessional of your midwife.

seaweed123 Thu 30-Oct-14 20:34:40

My midwife tried to fob me off (apparently my skin looked very spotty - must be a rash. Told her my skin always looks like that!). She took blood to shut me up, and I got called into hospital the next day for a scan, trace and liver ultrasound. I was seen weekly at the hospital until I was induced at 36 weeks, and never saw the midwife again.

So hopefully if there is anything wrong you will be seen quickly.

WorkingBling Sat 01-Nov-14 08:17:47

Well done for calling gp. Midwives do tend to fob off. I was only diagnosed at 38 weeks as a result and had about 10 hysterical calls from dr that afternoon as I was already past the recommended induction point.

Get some aloe Vera gel. Smear it on generously (don't rub it in too much as that makes it hot and sticky and you want the cool anti inflammatory properties) then once absorbed use a regular moisterizer. I found Nivea with almond oil helped a bit.

I never tried the oatmeal baths but will this time if it happens again.

Jellylove Sat 01-Nov-14 08:32:18

I'm a midwife, so sad to hear that you were fobbed off,it definitely needs checking out, even to rule out cholestasis. But your symptoms to me sounds very like the condition. I hope you get results today. If symptoms get worse go to your maternity day unit for review. If your ever worried about the baby's movement again get checked out. It is a condition that can be managed but the symptoms can be horrid to live with even for a short period of time. I had it with both pregnancies and it drove me bonkers. I hope you get some answers soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now