Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness

(16 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Wed 29-Oct-14 23:13:16

This is probably a strange question but I'm really struggling with the nausea.

It's all day and night and I've tried absolutely everything.

I feel as though I want to vomit and keep retching and gagging but I've always had a fear of being sick, so I'm kind of stopping myself from actually throwing up.

I'm thinking if I just let myself be sick, would I get some relief from the nausea? Or does it not work like that?

EmbarrassedPossessed Wed 29-Oct-14 23:35:45

From my limited experience, it doesn't work like that. The nausea isn't being caused by an upset stomach or whatever, it's generated by the pregnancy hormones. So it won't be relieved by being sick.

Bellyrub1980 Thu 30-Oct-14 05:42:19

I found it made me feel better for about 5 minutes but that's probably just adrenaline from the vomiting.

The only thing that help me was resting up, plenty of sleep and snacking every few hours.

sad

ToAvoidConversation Thu 30-Oct-14 06:26:32

I felt like this for a week or so and just knew when I started vomiting I couldn't stop. I couldn't get out of bed because the nausea was so overwhelming. All day every day. Lying down with two pillows meant it got better slightly so that's what I did.

Ended up with hyperemesis but got good medication for it. Just down to morning sickness now. Almost half way there for me thankfully.

You have my sympathies! How dad along are you?

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Oct-14 06:39:00

a Pregnancy Sickness Support

Pyjamaramadrama Thu 30-Oct-14 09:03:24

Almost 9 weeks.

It seems to be getting worse to the point that I'm nearly vomiting but forcing it back. Just stupidly had the idea that if I let it out I might get some relief.

Literally the only thing that works it as you say, snacking, but I'm struggling to find foods that I can stomach, and it seems that once I've eaten a particular food I'm off it then the next day.

ememsmum Thu 30-Oct-14 09:07:24

I couldn't sleep due to overrwhelming nausea so I spoke to a GP who prescribed Promethazine for night time only (it's an antihistasmine). Am defo sleeping better. The nausea comes back after breakfast though!

Pyjamaramadrama Thu 30-Oct-14 09:11:06

I'm wondering whether to make a GP appointment?

I know it's a normal part of pregnancy but I'm really struggling.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Thu 30-Oct-14 09:24:17

You need to eat little and often as it is often caused by low blood sugar.

ToAvoidConversation Thu 30-Oct-14 14:03:48

I would make a GP appointment. Treatment guidelines say that you should be able to lead as normal a life as possible.

ememsmum Thu 30-Oct-14 14:55:24

Def see a GP, although they may tell you they can't prescribe anything - NOT TRUE! I only feel ok 5 mins into a main meal, and for 10 mins or so later. Snacking brings relief as I snack. May be the distraction of eating? I struggle to drink enough and am a bit dehydrated at the mo. Am happy enough just taking a tablet at night and having a few days off work, but if this persists into next week I may have to speak to GP again about upping dose of promethazine.

Funkyfairy2004 Thu 30-Oct-14 14:59:19

I've suffered with nausea all the way through my pregnancy and sucking ice cubes or ice lollys are a real relief (although now my lovely orange or lemonade lollys now give me heart burn!). I hope you get some relief x

HolgerDanske Thu 30-Oct-14 15:02:14

I was horribly ill for every moment of the first five months of my first pregnancy. I used to get some blessed relief after being sick. It may have only been about five or ten minutes but it was worth it to me...

Sorry flowers

OliviaBlue Thu 30-Oct-14 18:16:23

No, it doesn't matter, unfortunately. You just feel nauseous regardless of whether or not you're physically sick. It's awful, I feel for you. I found that going outside helped me - like not into a public place, but if you have a garden or somewhere nearby with fresh air, I felt that helped.

Might not help you, but enclosed spaces seemed to me to make it worse.

VintageCherry26 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:28:54

Fresh air and strong mints are helping me! I hope it gets better for you soon!

beeecaaa Mon 03-Nov-14 23:36:55

Hi, I'm 10 weeks pregnant and most days I can't even turn my head without the dizziness, which eventually leads to being sick.

I'm being sick atleast 6 times a day, even when I haven't eaten. And most days all I eat is a packet of crisps or one slice of bread.

I've seen my GP but she couldn't do much for me.

She gave me tablets and offered to sign me off work, but I can't afford that so I'm really struggling.

I know how you feel but in my opinion, being sick won't help how you're feeling.

If you want to give it a go, then try to be sick (as it is naturalbin pregnancy!) But just prepare to find out it may not make you feel any better.

My doctor wasn't great, but maybe you should see yours. For peace of mind if nothing else I guess.

Anyway, I really hope you're feeling better soon!

If you need a rant about this please PM me, I'm getting pro at complaining about the sickness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now