Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I won't get Stat Maternity Pay

(14 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Wed 29-Oct-14 18:27:52

I won't have been with my employer long enough to qualify.

Are there alternatives?

LurkingQuietly Wed 29-Oct-14 18:41:31

Yes, Google maternity allowance for details on eligibility and how to claim.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 29-Oct-14 19:32:52

Thank you Lurking!

Chunderella Wed 29-Oct-14 20:32:22

Remember your employer will also need to give you paid time off for antenatal appointments plus maternity leave. It won't be paid but you'll be entitled to everything else that goes with it- so you'll be accruing annual leave and bank holidays in lieu while you're on ML.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 29-Oct-14 20:35:31

Don't wire too much . Afaik mat allowance is the same amount as mat pay just that it gets paid like benefits rather than through your employer as a wage .

Chunderella Thu 30-Oct-14 08:43:07

It isn't the same amount, unless you're low paid, but it's not usually a great deal less. MA is 39 weeks at £140 per week. SMP is 6 weeks at 90% usual salary then 33 weeks at £140 per week, though obviously some employers offer more.

Chipandspuds Thu 30-Oct-14 08:50:10

Your employers need to give you an SMP1 Form to advise why they aren't paying you SMP then I think you go to the job centre and you can claim maternity allowance instead which I believe is the same amount as SMP.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 21:30:15

Thanks all.

Is it quite rare to be turned down for maternity allowance? I've become panic stricken that I won't be approved for it.

Although this baby is wanted and theoretically planned we really weren't expecting to conceive in the first month of ttc.

Newmom2b Mon 03-Nov-14 21:38:46

I have just out in my application for MA as I started my new job at 8 weeks pregnant and therefore done qualify for smp. I will be so gutted if I didn't get it and will kick up such a fuss as have been employed continuously since uni but due to redundancy had to move jobs at 8 weeks pregnant. How soon should you find out once you have sent the paperwork? Does anybody know?

thatstoast Mon 03-Nov-14 21:41:27

For MA, you need to have worked for any employer for a certain number of weeks over certain period. The time frame is determined by your due date. I found the form quite complicated but the DWP department that deals with it was quite helpful. You don't have to go to the Job Centre, unless they've changed it since Jan.

Here's a good guide.

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/overview.

Are you sure you won't be entitled to SMP? I think as long as you were employed when you conceived then you're eligible. So MA would only apply if you've changed jobs. As someone mentioned, to claim MA you need a letter from your employer stating they won't pay SMP.

thatstoast Mon 03-Nov-14 21:43:27

newmom, mine took about 6-8 weeks but that was over the xmas period. They back dated the pay.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 21:56:51

As things turned out I was already pregnant when I started. Found out two weeks in.

Also, don't have a contract with them per se, rolling temp thing. So I'm a "worker" not even an employee.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 22:26:24

Thank you for the link Toast smile

Chunderella Tue 04-Nov-14 08:09:13

I don't know if it's rare to be turned down for MA, but if you meet the criteria I can't see why you would be. I'm not sure what the difference is between 'worker' and 'employee' and whether you'd be entitled to SMP or not, but if not then you can still apply for MA.

To get MA, you need to not be entitled to SMP- if still employed when you apply, work can give you SMP1 form. Mine did this as I was pregnant when I started with them for DC1, it was quite straightforward. You then send proof you've been working for at least 26 of the 66 weeks before your due date, and that for at least 13 of them you have earned £30 a week. Does this apply to you? Get a calendar and work out when 66 weeks before EDD is so you know what the relevant period is. Then count any weeks during this period you've worked. It doesn't matter if you're not eligible right now because you still have the rest of the pregnancy to get there. I did this for myself and also my cousin so I can help if you need it. Might also be worth a question on the employment issues or legal boards about SMP entitlement- I don't know the answer to that but someone will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now