Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

29 + 3 and measuring below 10th Centile

(15 Posts)
Bumpngrind85 Tue 28-Oct-14 21:04:39

Hi MN'ers.
I went to see my midwife last week for a fundal height measurement. She said my bump was measuring below 10th Centile so sent me for a growth scan, which I had today. The baby is measuring smaller than average and I am now going to be under consultant led care. The doctor said that my placenta, babys heart beard and cord flow all seemed fine but i have to go for checks twice a week at the hospital. This has caused me no end of stress and I cant stop crying. The scan has babies fundal height at just under 27cm - I am 29w + 3. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I know stressing wont help but I can't stop worrying.

Bumpngrind85 Tue 28-Oct-14 21:06:26

*heart beat! Hopefully she doesn't have a beard....

CunfuddledAlways Tue 28-Oct-14 21:13:07

Did your consultant not explain that these measuremrnts arent an exact science seem as they are measuring through fluid?? And also just like you have an average height of a person you will get people significantly talker or shorter than that average who have no problems. If your consultant isnt concerned then you have no reason to be-someone has to be on that line, not everyone can be 'average'

eurochick Tue 28-Oct-14 21:17:10

I know it's worrying but try to see it as a good thing that you are being closely monitored. As Confuddled says, you might just be having a smaller than average baby due to genetics or whatever. In my case, my placenta was compromised and the cord blood flow affected (which doesn't seem to be the case for you). It was all horribly stressful, but the drs delivered my daughter early, before the situation became critical. It was a hard time but she is now fine. I'm glad it was picked up and I was closely monitored.

Patienceisapparentlyavirtue Thu 30-Oct-14 09:12:08

It's very stressful at the time, but as pps have said, it's better to be monitored.

I measured very small throughout, despite no other risk factors and not being short ourselves, but DS grew steadily and healthily - just small. He was born at 6lb3 with a great apgar score and all, and is now now a fairly short but very active and healthy toddler. And on the bright side, unlike my friends with whopper babies, I came out of the delivery room with not even a graze, let alone a tear! smile

Hope all goes well for you too

RiverRocks Thu 30-Oct-14 09:45:32

Hi Bump
I don't have any experience, but from a purely statistical point of view, some has got to be in that centile for it to not be too small, if you see what I mean. I know that doesn't make it any less worrying for you.

If everything else is fine, it could just be baby is going to be petite. The doctors will take good care of you both flowers

Nyancat Thu 30-Oct-14 09:47:22

I'm 29+5 and being scanned every week for same thing. One week for blood flow and next for growth. Dc1 was born on 4th centile, dropped to 0.2nd then by about 12 months jumped to around 50th. Her apgar scores were perfect, she was just dinky, still is petite but as mad as a box of frogs and absolutely fine. I'm allowed to stay midwifery caseload this time but I see consultant the odd time, he said some people just make small babies, but just keeping an eye to make sure all ok.

porcito Thu 30-Oct-14 10:13:09

I started having really small measurements in scans at 27
8 weeks. It would varybetween head/femur/abdomen but she was always weeks behind overall in the centiles. I totally freaked myself out despite nothing being found wrong, thanks google.

She's now 5 weeks old, perfectly healthy and feeding like a monster to make up her weight. As was said, someone has to be on the tiny centiles. Mine was 5lb 3 at birth, doctor wasn't worried, just said some babies start to thrive more on the outside.

ReadyForDinner Thu 30-Oct-14 13:30:59

Hello!
I'm in pretty much the same boat and posted with similar concerns just this time last week. 30 week scan showed ( additional growth scans due to my bmi) just below tenth centile. doppler of placenta was all good and movements have been regular so they said come back in 2 weeks (next Thursday) for a repeat scan and see what's what. I was/am obviously concerned but just trying to get on with stuff until the next scan. Think what you would be saying to a friend in your position, some babies are smaller, 10 out of 100 are going to be below the tenth centile and most importantly these scans are notoriously inaccurate, your dr will tell you variance is 10-15% up or down which when you are talking grams is alot, anecdotally you will hear people who have been told they are expecting 9lb+ whoppers only to deliver 7lb dainty little things. Look, see how rational I sound! Can you tell I have been practicing this speech on myself for the last week? wink Even if something were to be up, that's what the extra monitoring is for, first hint of something risky and they will have you in to address it. Do keep me posted as would love to hear your experiences especially as it seems we are in similar boats. Best of luck, will be thinking of you sitting it out until the next scan smile

Bumpngrind85 Thu 30-Oct-14 16:51:02

Thanks so much everyone. It really does help coming on Mumsnet as hard to not think the worst when its happening to you. I have an appointment tomorrow readyfordinner so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone x

NeedaDiscoNap Thu 30-Oct-14 17:03:17

Hi Bump. I have experienced a similar thing - my DD (5 months tomorrow) was measuring small, so I had many growth scans throughout my pregnancy.

She was predicted to be around 5lbs 7oz but was 4lbs 4oz at birth. She was like a little bird and looked so tiny next to the big 10lb bruiser in the next bed in the ward.

When she was born she wasn't even on the centile graph. She then moved onto the 0.4 line, then 2nd, and is now on the 9th. She is perfectly in proportion, just small - some babies just are!

It's great that you're going to be under consultant care - they'll take very good care of you and will monitor you until you meet your baby.

As others have said above, scans are often imprecise with measurements. But if your baby is very small, you can get brilliant tiny clothes from Asda that go by lb - they were the only clothes that fit DD for a few weeks. Also, be prepared to be stopped and for the baby to be cooed over everywhere you go - it was like being out with a tiny celebrity!

Best of luck OP - come back and update thanks

teaandducks Thu 30-Oct-14 19:05:08

Hi bump & others - glad to hear some positive stories as also joining small bump club ��. Been saying to my midwife for weeks I was small & she didn't seem worried but went for my 32 week placenta scan (for ?praevia) whilst thats moved baby has fallen from 50th to miles under 5th centile on chart. So now booked for weekly growth scans... Same as you though bump - cord flow fine, ctg fine, very active so no idea why. Although have been quite unwell last month & work hideous shifts which is apparently quite a common cause. DH & I both average build tho. Trying not to get too stressed about it but just feel really glum - it's been one thing after another this preg! We'll just have to try and keep distracted & relaxed whilst wait for next scan - will keep an eye out for you & dinner as we're in same boat...

Bumpngrind85 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:20:34

Hello all. So I have my first appointment with consultant today. He basically just went over my growth scan and test results and said that at the moment all seems fine and that I may well just be having a small baby. It really put my mind at ease. Knowing they are going to be monitoring twice a week is actually quite comforting now. Thanks for all your kind comments and would love to hear how all you other smallies get on smile

eurochick Fri 31-Oct-14 23:35:31

Need is spot on about the mini celebrity thing. My daughter was 3lb6 at birth and around 4 lbs when she came out of hospital. Whenever we ventured out I was stopped so people could coo over her.

teaandducks Sat 01-Nov-14 22:01:36

Ah good news bump. I feel much more chilled now had time to adjust - think she's had a growth spurt already! smile fingers crossed for next scans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now