Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Driving whilst pregnant

(36 Posts)
WorkFreeWannabe Tue 28-Oct-14 17:47:14

I'm almost 38 weeks and still driving, although it's becoming a bit uncomfortable now with feet in my ribs. A friend of mine had a moan at me this morning for still driving as she doesn't think it's safe, plus I have to think about the other nutters on the road. I drive an automatic so the rigours of gear changing aren't really an issue.

When did you stop driving and are there any other issues to take into consideration?

Mrsgrumble Tue 28-Oct-14 17:48:20

I drove in early labour ten days overdue. Looking back, I wasnt very wise.

Pooka Tue 28-Oct-14 18:05:36

With dc2 I drove on the day I had him, so 41 weeks. Had an older child who needed to be places and was perfectly safe.

With dc1 I didn't really drive much after about 39 weeks just because I didn't really have to. She was born at 40 weeks.

Was driving until dc3 was born.

ladyflower23 Tue 28-Oct-14 18:13:57

I drove till the end. As long as your body can still effectively drive the car I don't see why it's unsafe. Of course u can't control the nutters but that's always the case.

Frusso Tue 28-Oct-14 18:15:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

angeltreats Tue 28-Oct-14 18:39:42

I'm still driving at 36 weeks, although if someone else is available to drive I'd prefer not to. I constantly have feet jammed in my ribs and it's very uncomfortable, and also have SPD and when I use the clutch it sends shooting pains down my leg. Most likely I'll keep going till I pop.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 28-Oct-14 18:41:10

I drove right up.til the day before ds arrived. I never thought twice about it tbh. Iwas generally uncomfortable throughout the latter part of my pregnancy anyways that driving never made any difference.

TallulahTwinkletoes Tue 28-Oct-14 18:47:52

Errrm, I drove to hospital to be induced at 41 weeks.

If it's unsafe to drive now, then it never really was regardless of how far along you were.

Just drive til you don't want to/don't feel comfortable to...

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Tue 28-Oct-14 18:53:44

I drove until the day before I had DD (at 40+10) it was fine. This was despite my mum warning me I wouldn't fit behind the wheel. But I have longer arms and legs than her grin

NorrisCole Tue 28-Oct-14 18:57:08

I took my driving test at 41+2 grin

I passed grin

andadietcoke Tue 28-Oct-14 18:59:08

I drove until 38+2 with twins (when I had them). I was measuring full term at 32 weeks, but I could still fit behind the wheel and was comfortable so couldn't see any reason to stop.

LBOCS Tue 28-Oct-14 19:01:16

I drove to the appointment where they told me I was going to be induced (38+4). I only stopped working at 36 weeks and I drive a lot for work - it didn't occur to me not to!

ajandjjmum Tue 28-Oct-14 19:09:59

The poor examiner Norris!

I drove myself to hospital too Tallulah. Probably not my best move.

Gennz Tue 28-Oct-14 19:15:41

I'm 35+ 3, still driving every day & no intention of stopping. It doesn't make sense that driving later in pregnancy is more dangerous. The biggest risk of driving would be a crash that could cause you to go into early labour - this is going to be safer for the baby the further along you are. So really, driving in the first and second trimester is more "dangerous" but no one would stop driving then!

TallulahTwinkletoes Tue 28-Oct-14 19:50:03

It's just habit ajandjj. I always drive. DP just isn't a driver and I still feel guilty that he had to drive home from my c section. He was almost as nervous driving his new baby girl as he was when I was rushed for a crash section I think shock

Catsmamma Tue 28-Oct-14 19:56:30

hahaah norris I took and passed my test at 37 weeks....dh still swears the examiner was scared to fail me!

don't recall not driving when pg with dd, I do remember hating the car we had when pregnant with ds2 though....i still have a very deep seated and irrational hatred of Renaults, I had no idea of where it began or ended, how wide it was, could never find the gear knob or handbrake.

And it wasn't pregnancy related as the other car we had was fine.

KeepSmiling83 Tue 28-Oct-14 20:19:17

I drove home after my waters had broken at 40 weeks!

Zooymum Tue 28-Oct-14 20:27:30

My mum insisted that I stop and let her drive me around at about 38 weeks. That was far more stressful than driving myself. This time I am getting tired, so I'm trying not to drive long distances.

SomeSunnySunday Tue 28-Oct-14 21:03:46

It would never have occurred to me not to drive while pregnant (this is DC3) - we live rurally, and I have school and nursery runs to do every day (and will do up until my c-section at almost 40 weeks). I'd be completely stuck if I wasn't able to drive!

LIG1979 Tue 28-Oct-14 21:42:11

I drove the day dd was born about 2 hours before calling the hospital to ask to come in.

I did however stop doing long journeys in the last couple of months as I found I got uncomfortable after about 40 mins driving so tried to limit it to journeys of up to 20 mins so it didn't matter if I got caught in traffic.

WftsC Wed 29-Oct-14 08:00:06

Still driving at nearly 41 weeks here - didn't occur to me not to!
Depends how comfortable you are, I suppose.

LittleBearPad Wed 29-Oct-14 08:03:53

I guess last time I stopped about 36 weeks but that was because we had a low slung sports car that was a pita to get into with a steering wheel and bump. This time I assume I'll just keep driving all along (much more sensible car) unless it gets uncomfortable. I don't think it or I am less safe.

clover83 Wed 29-Oct-14 09:25:34

With my first I first noticed contractions whilst driving home from aqua at 40+2. With my 2nd I was still driving until a couple of hours before I went into labour (39+6). As long as you fit comfortably and can still reach/move sufficiently, I'm not sue why you wouldn't. I probably wasn't going more than an hour away from home alone, but then I rarely do that anyway if I think about it.

tomanyanimals Wed 29-Oct-14 09:27:06

With ds1 drove until I had him 40+4 will drive till I have this one I find it much more stressful being a passenger than driving and with regards to nutters on the road it won't matter if your passenger or driver your still in the car and would still be involved so I would just drive until u found it uncomfortable

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 29-Oct-14 09:32:29

I drove in labour .
Although from about 37-38 weeks I did avoid driving if I could because it was very uncomfortable .
But dd had piano lesson so I drove her then my waters broke in the lesson so after it I drove to my parents with my waters leaking all over the car . shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now