Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

33 weeks, itchy bites, tingling skin, red pinpricks NOT SCABIES/BED BUGS anyone???

(8 Posts)
PippasLondon Mon 20-Oct-14 18:24:31

Hello

Sorry for random post but am at end of tether - 33 weeks pregnant and for last 3 weeks had constant irritated skin - not pregnancy related my partner has it as well and we had this about a year ago, never got to the bottom of it - treated for scabies and fleas and it went away. This time, we've done same treatment (permethrin basically) but symptoms keep getting worse. V itchy tiny bite, feel like mossie bites, look like flea bites, then constant tingling skin and we are both covered in tiny red pin pricks under skin. Very confused and v upsetting. Thankfully our 3 year old doesnt seem affected. Pest control cannot figure out what it is but it's not fleas or bed bugs or dust mites. Doctors can't figure out what it is but have ruled out anything pregnancy related and don't think it's scabies. I'm on antihistimines which do help with the symptoms but obviously not treating the cause. Does ANYONE have a clue what this could be? Any help or advice v v v gratefully received.

P

Gunpowder Thu 23-Oct-14 21:46:44

Gosh sounds horrible. Birdmites?

I think they're quite rare so pest control don't always pick up on them.

Gunpowder Thu 23-Oct-14 21:47:34

Oh, and often confused with scabies apparently,

redviolin Thu 23-Oct-14 21:50:47

iron deficiency...

Fizzielove Thu 23-Oct-14 21:51:33

I don't want to scare you, but please see a Dr very soon. There's a condition where toxins can build in your liver and the first sign of it is itching!! Obstetric Cholestasis I think its called.

Gunpowder Thu 23-Oct-14 22:02:31

I think it's great to post about OC - terrifying, but OP's partner has it too and so I think the thread being on the pregnancy bored is a red herring!

Doesn't the fact they are both suffering suggest it's not pregnancy related and more likely to be from something environmental or contagious? So allergen/pest/parasite/infectious rash? There was a thread a couple of months ago about bird mites which made me think of them.

Gunpowder Thu 23-Oct-14 22:03:18

*board not bored! Fat fingers and autocorrect conspire against me...

Jersey37 Fri 24-Oct-14 12:11:32

You mentioned treating for fleas. Have you got a cat? They can get mites that bite humans. My mother had this happen. Took her ages to work out what was going on. If so, then perhaps a trip to vet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: