Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How many merino layers?

(8 Posts)
UML Mon 20-Oct-14 10:20:17

Hello,

I am considering buying some merino undergarments for my little one who will be born in mid December - but I am a bit confused as to how many layers of clothing I should be putting on the baby..

I want to get a couple of long sleeved vests/body's - and then just layer on as normal - cotton sleepsuit and merino blanket if indoors or snowsuit when going out in car.

Is this ok? Or do they need anything extra like a merino sleepsuit as well as vest under the snowsuit when going out?

would appreciate any help! Thanks smile

blackwidow74 Mon 20-Oct-14 11:12:54

they advise now no coat in car seat due to the heater being on and a blanket will suffice over regular clothes

VisualiseAHorse Mon 20-Oct-14 15:00:25

Generally just one layer extra than you are wearing. So if you're in one layer, they need two. No snow suits or coats in car sets, as it effects safety. Use a blanket in the car.

Squtternutbaush Mon 20-Oct-14 15:12:08

Generally a vest and sleepsuit is fine indoors and add a hat, cardigan, mitts, socks/bootees and a blanket for outdoors in car and pram. I always used babylegs for the sling though.

Padded Snowsuits and coats can hinder the safety straps in a car seat so the lighter the layers the better.

When you say undergarments do you plan on using merino nappies and soakers? I only ask because we use the covers and they add quite a bit of bulk so its worth looking out for more generous sleepsuits smile

AnythingNotEverything Mon 20-Oct-14 15:17:17

As others have said, one more later than you is fine. And no a
Hat unless you're outside and it's cold (or sunny!).

Kelbells Mon 20-Oct-14 15:17:45

I was always told one more layer than you which kept it simple! Also worth remembering that if you wear baby in a sling or wrap that counts as a layer too.

UML Mon 20-Oct-14 15:20:34

Thank you for the replies!

Sorry, by undergarments I meant vests/sleepsuits!

Ok so merino vest plus merino sleepsuit wouldn't be too much indoors?

This is not my first baby but my first winter one, have never had a newborn in the winter...

allybells Fri 09-Jan-15 21:08:16

No not too much for indoors, that is the best thing about merino, it breathes and regulates temperature in line with the conditions, unlike other fabrics, so you can layer as needed for warmth (usually one more layer than you have is rule of thumb) without fear of overheating - and its super warm but not bulky. It does vary though, some of the merino for babies is wafer thin and a bit token, it is worth opting for the good brands (superlove, merino kids or mokopuna are the best in my opinion (we've tried them all and live in the stuff).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now