Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Tameside hospital anyone???

(11 Posts)
Lizzy86 Tue 07-Oct-14 11:03:58

I've been given a choice of either Tameside hospital or Oldham hospital for delivery. Anyone familiar with these and had any good experiences? grin

Lizzy86 Tue 07-Oct-14 14:42:14

smile Replies?

Bondy83 Tue 07-Oct-14 15:15:02

My cousin works on the delivery suite there, she left briefly to go to Whiston as it was closer to home but returned to tameside a few months later as she said it was much better

NoBloodyMore Tue 07-Oct-14 15:20:04

I had all 3 of mine at Tameside, prenatal care and labour wards were fantastic. The postnatal wards/care was a bit crap and I couldn't wait to get home each time, I was home within 48 hours after each C Section.
I think locally Tameside has a better reputation than Oldham.

wawabear Wed 08-Oct-14 10:07:38

No thanks! We live near Tameside but we have opted to go to St Mary's even though it is further away. St Mary's have been brilliant with me and have better reviews on all the sites I have looked at. It's also a brand new building with better facilities.

Tameside is one of only a few hospitals on special measures and recently had a maternity nurse suspended for a prolonged period of drug misuse on duty.

If you can get to any other hospital I would definitely consider it.

RainbowInACloud Wed 08-Oct-14 17:59:24

I think Tameside is alright for maternity (although failing in many other depts) DH was an anaesthetist there for a while and thought the care was good enough. I was a junior dr at Oldham and did obs there- it was a well run unit and I enjoyed it although I've heard from some mums that they did not enjoy their experience there.

sparkysparkysparky Mon 09-Feb-15 15:59:22

Go anywhere other than Tameside. Its maternity unit is not good.

Christelle2207 Tue 10-Feb-15 08:05:40

Consider Stockport(Stepping Hill). I had a good experience there and so did all the mums I know.

ohdearitshappeningtome Tue 10-Feb-15 08:09:13

All maternity units are very short staffed all over the country! The poor staff never get their breaks no wonder they strike!

St Mary's is now over 5 years old it feels like two mins ago it was new!

I presume Tameside and Oldham areclosest to you?

sparkysparkysparky Tue 10-Feb-15 10:36:26

Agree with Stepping Hill as alternative if St Mary ' s not possible. I have very VERY negative personal experience of Tameside maternity unit.

Christelle2207 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:13:28

Ps whatever your mw says you are not tied to tameside or oldham.
It might be more administrative faff (for mw!) to go elsewhere but essentially you go where you want to. Only exception is when maternity departments close to non-local patients due to being too busy. However I know that at Stockport this is very very rare.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: