Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal Reading Abnormal at 12weeks - in a state of shock

(15 Posts)
eden01 Sun 05-Oct-14 19:54:20

Hi everyone,

I have never written on here before but I'm going out of my mind with worry while I wait for CVS results. Had an awful experience during my 12 week scan on Friday. The sonographer spent 30mins talking us through the baby on screen, it's movements, organs etc. all was completely positive. She then left the room to call my doctor under the pretence of discussing my due date and when she came back in she floored us with the news that my nuchal reading measured 4.2mm, as high as 4.7mm and therefore I was a high risk pregnancy where the chances are the baby either has Down's Syndrome or heart problems. I have never been so stunned. A few minutes before she was saying how calm the baby was and next, my world had totally collapsed.

I have read so many stories on here and other blogs, some positive and some ending not so happily. I find out my CVS results on Tuesday but I feel like even if they are positive, I then have to spend the rest of my pregnancy feeling stressed the whole time, while we eliminate everything and anything that could be wrong with our baby.

Feeling completely devastated and wondering if anyone else out there is playing the waiting game like us...

rhetorician Sun 05-Oct-14 19:59:40

not currently, but i well remember being where you are now; from our nuchal and blood tests combined we had a 1:11 chance of down syndrome. We had a cvs and I can honestly say the 3 days felt like eternity, especially as we weren't sure what we would do (and it was complicated by living in a country where termination is illegal). But everything was fine, and that baby is now driving us mad with her antics (she is nearly 3). But it is a hard time. Did you have anything other than the nuchal measurement? presence of nasal bone? how old are you? Do you have other children? Best of luck, try to distract yourself as much as possible the next couple of days (we had a very clean house by the end of it!).

blacktreaclecat Sun 05-Oct-14 20:00:59

We had similar but nuchal was 11 so way higher. It was t21 and we did tfmr. We now have a beautiful healthy 2 year old DS though.
I'm sorry you are going through this. I'd suggest you contact ARC charity for support xx

lem73 Sun 05-Oct-14 20:08:20

My test results showed I was high risk for Downes in my third pregnancy. I chose not to go for an amniocentesis as the risk of miscarriage was too high. I also spent the rest of my pregnancy worrying so I know how you feel.
My midwife was rubbish so I ended up calling a helpline for the first time in my life. The lady was so helpful and calming. I can't remember the name of the charity but why don't you do some research on the internet. It would be good for you while you're waiting for your cvs results. My daughter was born without any health issues at all.
Good luck. Keep us posted with any news.

blacktreaclecat Sun 05-Oct-14 20:08:59

www.arc-uk.org

eden01 Sun 05-Oct-14 20:19:46

Thanks for your messages of support, it's good to hear stories of things turning out positively. There was a nasal bone present during the scan and I'm 29, this is my first pregnancy. I naively thought that my age would mean Down's Syndrome wasn't so much of an issue. My house is also very clean, I have hoovered quite a few times in the last 2 days.

LBNM19 Sun 05-Oct-14 20:39:52

Not the same but I did have to have a CVS during this pregnancy my son has a life limiting genetic condition diagnoised after birth and we had a 1 in 4 chance of passing it to the baby. The wait is just awful. Good luck hope everything is ok xx

eden01 Tue 07-Oct-14 16:50:43

Hi everyone, thanks for you messages of support. Had the first CVS results today and they are clear. Still won't be able to breathe easy until rest of CVS results are in end of next week. Then have a detailed heart scan in 2 weeks. Praying that everything is ok. Have also booked a scan next week just to make sure heartbeat is still there etc after CVS. Relieved for results today but still so worried. Keeping everything crossed x

LBNM19 Tue 07-Oct-14 17:11:01

I can imagine, glad you got good results today that's really positive. Good luck for next few weeks xx

lem73 Tue 07-Oct-14 22:23:32

Great news. Really pleased for you.

rhetorician Tue 07-Oct-14 22:26:14

very glad to hear positive news too; good luck!

eden01 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:25:43

Hi all,

Thought I would update this thread in case anyone else is going through the same thing. I know how awful the waiting can be.

Our second set of CVS results came back clear and we've had the first heart scan and everything so far is normal. I have another scan next week and then at 20weeks a further scan plus another heart scan so hoping these are all ok too. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the support so far xx

leanne963 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:35:06

Aw that is great news eden fingers crossed for another clear 20 week scan! So sorry you are going through this! xx

Jersey37 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:38:47

So glad to read that your results are positive! it is the most stressful of times... and I'm sure this thread will help a good number of women stay positive in the future whilst waiting for their results xxxx

Jodie1982 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:50:55

Oh bless you, glad everything seems to be going okay, and I'm sorry to hear you've been through a very emotional time. I must've totally missed this thread when you first posted. Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now