Advanced search

NT 7mm

(7 Posts)
Lubba Fri 08-Aug-14 09:59:29

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if there's anyone going through what me and my husband are going through?
On Tuesday 5th August we went for our 12 week scan, to be told baby had an NT measurement of 5.3mm. We was taken into a consultants room and told about our next options being cvs which at this point my head was a complete shed. An appointment was made for us at Sheffield hospital with a specialist for the next day in which we got the devastating news just by the scan that the reading he got for the NT was 7mm and baby had fluid around the abdomen and thorax area. He couldn't do the cvs either because my womb apparently is tilted and he was concerned he may puncture my bowel so instead he turned off the machine and basically told us to terminate. We are both still in shock.
We slept on our news and yesterday I called my midwife and her response was I didn't get much support, we have decided to try do the cvs again and an appointment has been made for next Friday. I have also been told that by the reading of the scan we have been given 1 in 2 chance baby has downs. I'm trying to stay positive and think 50/50 chance
I'm so worried and just praying baby's chromosomes come back normal so we can move onto the next stage.
Is anyone else going through this nightmare? X
P.s I am 12 weeks 4 days.

dancestomyowntune Fri 08-Aug-14 10:03:31

hi, i don't really have any advice for you but didn't want to read and run. poor you sad

i would suggest you ask your midwife for some advice and a referral for some counselling. it sounds as though the consultant was less than helpful so ask for a second opinion.

thanks for you at this terrifying time

Marnierose Fri 08-Aug-14 10:44:25

Oh op I just wanted to send my love and let you know I'm thinking about you. I hope you get the news you want. If not make sure you get lots of support.

moggle Fri 08-Aug-14 10:47:53

There is a blood test you can have which can identify Down's syndrome and a couple of the other most common chromosomal problems with a high level of certainty. They are called Harmony, Nifty, tests among others if you want to google. You do have to wait 10 days for results I believe but if the second CVS attempt doesn't work it might be worth it (or you could even do both). They do cost quite a bit as they are not currently available on the NHS, in the order of �300-500. There is a long thread on the antenatal tests and choices board about them. All the very best xxx

SilverLinings2014 Fri 08-Aug-14 11:26:46

Hi op, so sorry to read this.

I had the harmony test after getting a 1:25 high risk screen for downs. After 2 years TTC and IVF we didn't want to have an invasive cvs or amino with the associated risk of MC. It's expensive and there's a 2 week wait for results but might be worth looking into.

Try the antenatal test and choices board. I found it really helpful; there are lots of very knowledgable MNs who can advise and support you.

Good luck, will be thinking of you flowers

SilverLinings2014 Fri 08-Aug-14 11:29:43

Here's the link...hope it works

Marnierose Fri 08-Aug-14 13:08:44

The harmony is a great screening test but I think with a 1:2 result they would probably recommend a cvs anyway? It might be worth phoning up the FMC in London for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now