Diabetics..... Tell me about your labour and birth experiences!(29 Posts)
I'm T1 diabetic and expecting DC2. DC1 was an ELCS due to other medical issues so I have never done the whole labour thing. I'm just a bit worried about, being induced, especially after a CS, being wired up to numerous machines and being stuck to a bed because of it, and how it will affect my diabetes.
Don't sugar coat it.....I need to know what to expect!
Im a t1 diabetic with 2 dc the youngest is a year old now. Have they said they will induce you? I ask as 1st time I was induced but ended with an emcs and 2nd time was booked for an elcs as baby was bigger and also was advised that due to previous section they would be concerned that as induction brings on labour faster than a natural labour that there was a little increase in the risk of rupture of the scar in the womb and as induction also increases the chance of needing a section I decided to go with elcs. That said some t1 have inductions that go very well and are straightforward.
In regards to bs either way its likely they will want to put you on a sliding scale drip to keep it right throughout cs/induction I was also hooked up to a monitor alot of the time and felt very confined to the bed. Im sure others will have had better experiences though. How far along are you?
Hi, thanks Hopingfor . I am only 15 wks right now but I saw the diabetic mw this week and she seemed reluctant to answer my questions, perhaps it's because nothing is definite right now. The whole rupturing scar tissue thing terrifies me which is the main reason I'm against the prospect of induction. I would opt for an ELCS but I know if I do I'll have to stay in for 3 days again and it's hard to face the thought of leaving DS at home.
I had the sliding scale, and dextrose drip when I had DS, I was thinking all that plus a monitor, etc sounded a bit restrictive and I am a pacer so being stuck to the bed really isn't going to suit me. I'm hoping that this time they'll let me go to term as having DS at 36 wks I had to go in for steroid treatment and monitoring for 7 days before he was born to make sure his lungs were fully developed.
I just want to arm myself with all the information so I can go to my consultant and midwife and tell them what I want and see what we can work out.
Hi Hoping! <waves>
I'm also T1, with 3 kids age 7, 4 and 1. I've had sections with all of them - first one was due to retinopathy at 39+2 weeks, second was ELCS due to him being premature triplets at 31+3 weeks, and 3rd was due to 2 previous sections, at 37+6 weeks.
For my 3rd, I went in the night before delivery (after kids bedtime), had the baby the following morning about 10am, stayed that night and the following night then went home. I could have gone in the morning of the section, but they wanted the option of putting me on the sliding scale in case my sugars went mad overnight (they didn't, and they didn't - I pump anyway, so it was never likely!).
A friend of mine (not T1) had her baby induced a week after I had DS2, her CS scar ruptured and she had to have 7 pints of blood transfused, and nearly died. It does happen, and I would never agree to an induction if I were to have another.
My induction with dd1 was fine. Honestly and I was allowed to stay on my pump but I had to have dh take over all care (ie bs tests and boluses on pump etc). If I went above a certain level they would take over (I think this was 8mmol/l). It was 5 years ago!
With dd2 I had an emcs as she was born at 29 weeks. Now that was pretty crap, I won't lie. But this time they talked about putting me on a sliding scale (I had one for the steroids a few days earlier) but because I ended up at another hospital very last minute, the new hospital allowed me to stay on my pump too!
So, both births on my pump and I was stable throughtout. But also had a sliding scale and it too was totally fine. I was worried about giving up control, but it was ok. I was still expected to test my own bs during that time.
Oh, and despite my dd being in nicu I was kicked out less than 48 hours later (after emcs) so dont assume you will be kept in.
Thank you both. I so wish I'd got myself on a pump before getting pregnant again. How do you come with your LOs climbing all over you? I'm sure mine would be forever yanking out my site!
I also suffered terribly with retinopathy with my first which is why I had to have DS at 36wks. So far this time round my eyes are stable so fx.
My hospital seem to keep everyone in for 3 days after a cs. I think in all honesty though I would like another. My first was such a good experience. I
I would just like to add that while I was on the steroids and sliding scale my bg was completely messed up as the mw turned it down to 1 unit p/h as it was running out of insulin. Obviously I was fuming! I'd have been better looking after myself!
Ugh, that happened to me! I had a hypo while on the damn sliding scale with DC1 - so the doctor (!) removed it, but refused to return my pump. By the time I got anyone to actually listen to me, my bloods were 36 mmol/l
I've refused to detach my pump ever since.
They're not going to let me move onto a pump whilst pregnant are they?!
Hi rue (waving) long time no see how are you?
polythene 2nd time delivery wasn't even discussed with me till after 30 weeks I think it was more like 32 or 34 and they were booking my date for elcs they also thought dd was a whooper(in reality 8lbs 6.5oz) if I ever had another id opt for an elcs again as I wouldn't want to endure another induction to risk ending up with another emcs. On the 1st dc front my hospital let ds visit as soon as we were back on ward and siblings were allowed in 30 mins before general visiting I did miss him terribly but it gave me time to recover a bit.
Its so strange that while pregnant we are surrounded and hounded by people about our bs then at delivery or on the wards anyway no one seems to have a clue!! I was off sliding scale a couple hours after elcs and had to ask what to re lack of long acting that morning to get the response well all we want us your bg below 15
Thanks for sharing ladies. I'm now more convinced that I will just tell them, when the time comes, that I just want to go for the ELCS. If I know that is what is going to happen I can prepare myself and my DS for it. Plus there is no guarantee that's I'd be out quicker after a labour, you just don't know what will happen.
I do wish I'd gone on a pump though!
Poly, I got my pump wholst 30 weeks pregnant with dd1! So ask! It was the best thing I ever did. And I found it an easy switch too. I mean, eught weeks later and I was giving birth with it on!
I also had eye problems with first pregnancy, so I know the worries. I was actually told not to have another pregnancy as it would risk my eye sight. It took 2 years for my eyes to return to normal after and as soon as I was given the reluctant go ahead, I was pregnant again! 2nd pregnancy and no eye issues at all. So fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Party that's very reassuring to read. I was told the same but it was breaking my heart so it has taken 3 years to get my eyes to a really stable point then we decided it was worth the risk. So far so good.
I will ask at my next diabetic antenatal clinic appointment about the pump. Do you find you have any problems with your little ones climbing on you and does your site get yanked about?
My site gets yanked occasionally, but the glue is pretty sticky I've had my pump for 10 years, and it's only come out once, when I got the tubing caught on a door handle, nothing to do with the kids!
I wear it clipped to my bra, and DS1 (now 4) sometimes asks me to move it when he wants a cuddle, but that's about the only impact it has.
Re eyes, I ended up having a vitrectomy after DD on one eye, then on the other eye after DS1. With DS2 everything was really stable - no bleeds, no treatment, and all is still fine, to the point where they've demoted me to regular screening rather than the consultant's clinic
Thanks RueDe that's good to know about your site. I find the thought of a vitrectomy absolutely terrifying. Glad your eyes settled down by #3. I'm hoping and praying that mine last through this pregnancy!
Same as Ruede. But I manage to yank mine out very regularly-but never the kids doing. I was having a similar conversation in rl with another oump wearer and she too has never pulled it out. I must be very accident prone!
Do you WANT a vbac or would you rather have an elcs? Surely you have a say? There will sadly be no more babies here, but if I ever did get to be in your situation I would go with the elcs. I found the recovery 1000x better! But it may have been down to not getting into the third trimester.
(Incidently, make sure you are taking/prescribed aspirin from this point on. It will help protect your eyes. Plus checks on your bp. Mine was slowly creeping up but was always just under what they would call high. In hindsight, it was the biggest indicator/cause of my placenta failing. I had the classic signs of not increasing insulin ratios etc too and having lots of hypos. They are saying her early arrival is because of being t1, but my hba1c was in the 5s).
I have T1 and am pg with dc1. Was convinced I can go ahead with a natural birth provided my induction works, but it seems from this thread that most of you have had c sections, for whatever reason! Was hoping to avoid a cs but perhaps that's wishful thinking?
V my induction for dc1 was fine. Not even a need for the 'drip' and this was at 38 weeks exactly.
Don't get disheartened
The more I've thought about it this weekend the happier I am to go for another ELCS. I was adamant with DS that I wanted as natural as possible but the decision was taken out of my hands because of the situation with my eyes. I just don't like the thought of being stuck in hospital for ages.
I'm def going to ask about a pump when I get chance. I was really worried about DS pulling my site out but you've all put my mind at rest about that.
I have just started taking aspirin too but they've given me the water soluble ones and they are making me gag! I'm going to have to swap for pills.
Good luck VJones I don't think there is any reason why you can't have a normal delivery if you have no other complications and baby isn't too big. Just take extra good care of yourself.
I'm a bit confused about baby being 'too big'. I mean, non-diabetic women naturally give birth to babies of 10 or even 12lb all the time, so when would a cs be necessary and why is it different for us diabetics?
Just take the aspirin the normal way. I used to! I don't think it matters and I never had a problem with them.
Do ask about the pump. I met the criteria because I was having trouble controling nighttime basal. I was having to wake at 3am to bolus 2u. At the time I was also having issues with hypos but I would advise you against using that as an excuse now because of the new stringent rules with the dvla. You dont want to get a pump but them refuse to renew your license!
Good luck! If you can afford it or can convince thrm, try out a cgm too. I had one on constantly whilst pregnant with no2, and it made the whole thing 100x easier.
I'm pregnant but a diabetes specialist rather than having diabetes, so sorry for intruding for a second.
Do ask about a pump. Going on to a pump in pregnancy (even if you decide to come off of it afterwards) is really not unusual. Lots to learn, although you'll find it easier if you've done DAFNE already, but it is perfectly possible.
Hope it all goes well!
Thanks for all the input.
I can't drive because of my visual impairment so DVLA would not be an issue.
I am DAFNE trained and so thankful for it. Will having a good HbA1c affect my chances of being offered a pump? I'm currently at 5.7 but have struggled to get my basal dose right and I'm having regular nighttime/fasting hypos.
We don't really use HbA1c in pregnancy in the same way we do outside of pregnancy (partly because red cell turnover can be higher and because HbA1c gives us 8-12 weeks of control which isn't nearly as immediate enough in DM given the quickly changing insulin requirements) and so your team would be looking more at sugars across the day in terms of control. Having to suffer lots of hypos in pursuit of good control is definitely a reason to consider a pump. Obviously it comes down to what you and your team think is best but it is worth considering.
Anyway, will stop intruding and get back to other threads!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.