Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NHS eligibility after returning to the UK from a year abroad

(8 Posts)
BeetlingAbout Fri 02-May-14 09:25:50


I have my booking in appointment next week (at 12 weeks) and have to fill out the pink NHS status form.

I am a British citizen, however my husband and I lived outside of the UK (and Europe) from January 2013 to March 2014. I came back to the UK for four weeks across that time and didn't work whilst i was there.

We moved back permanently on the 6th March 2014.

The form asks how many months in the last year were spent outside the UK and I'm on about 10 / 12.

Will I be entitled to free NHS cover?

Flickstar Fri 02-May-14 09:40:32

Hi there, I worked in HK from 2009-2011. Returned to the UK in June 2011 and was pregnant in October 2011. Am also a British citizen. All my care was totally free, although I don't remember having to fill in the punk form you mentioned. I think you'll be fine too.

Rockchick1984 Fri 02-May-14 10:01:50

Do you have evidence that the move back is permanent eg jobs, buying a house etc?

BeetlingAbout Fri 02-May-14 10:25:30

Thanks for the answers.

We have two mortgages here and DH is in full time employment. I am just temping due to being pregnant and have worked just over for weeks in total so far.

We have also bought a car and have utility bills in our name, i.e, broadband, mobile phones, gas and electricity.

livingzuid Fri 02-May-14 10:58:21

Interesting thread. I'm about to return but will be post - baby and have spent just under 3 years in Europe. I will be working.

When I left last time I was in New Zealand for a while and went back into the NHS system straight away. I think if you are a British citizen or EU you can get back in with no problem.

One would hope all the NI contributions over the years would also count for something!

alteredimages Fri 02-May-14 14:01:45

Watching this with interest. I have been abroad for ages so know that I am not entitled to NHS care, but when I have asked what you need to do or the conditions for regaining access, no one has been able to tell me.

I did manage to register with a GP during an extended stay in the UK though. He mentioned that I may not be entitled to NHS care but didn't know how to regain entitlements upon return either.

Rockchick1984 Fri 02-May-14 14:33:26

Rules here as long as they are satisfied you're living back here permanently then you're eligible as soon as you return to the uk smile

BeetlingAbout Fri 02-May-14 15:58:51

That's a great link - thank you. Big relief smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now