Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
DS was breech, DC2 is breech...(6 Posts)
DS was breech and I had an ELCS at 39 weeks. I'm now 38 weeks with DC2 and the midwife thinks it is another breech pregnancy. I had been getting ready to have a VBAC (and was even thinking of a HBAC) but now trying to get my head around another C section. I can't get a presentation scan until 39w2d so won't know for nearly a week. I've been saying at my last 2 checks that I thought the baby was breech as it felt exactly the same as last time but was told each time it was ok.
Anyway, was wondering if anyone else has experience of multiple breech pregnancies. I have been told that maybe my uterus is just shaped in such a way that it encourages the babies to lie like that. Last time I did everything I could to get DS to change to head down and I don't know if I have the energy to try. I spent ages with my bum in the air, tried a warm bath with a cold pack on my bump, moxibustion and lying upside down on the ironing board. The midwife today suggested looking into accupressure. Have any of these worked for you?
I didn't have an ECV last time as there was low amniotic fluid and I don't really like the sound of it. Any experience of having it with a 2nd breech baby?
Thanks for reading.
once you had a C-section I doubt they will offer you a ECV (trying to turn baby) because of risk of scar rupture.
I think a second ELSC is probably the best thing for you.
I know a lot of people who had 2 or even 3 section (combinations of EM & EL due to various reasons) so although it is upsetting that you can't try for a VBAC you really will be fine.
the massive positive side of an ELSC is that you can get organised, which is a bonus when you already have a child/ren.
I hope you won't be too disappointed if baby is breech
good luck for the birth!
Thanks Zing. I think I'm not quite taking it in but I don't feel as bad as I did last time. In some ways I have been quite tempted to have another ELCS for all the reasons you've said but felt there wasn't a good enough reason. I'd much rather have a calm ELCS than a traumatic EMCS and have been quite anxious about the
tearing pushing stage! This is likely to be my last baby so I am a bit sad at the thought of not ever experiencing labour but a VB wasn't the be all and end all for me.
I'd be quite happy to not be offered an ECV either as it would be one less decision to make. I'm actually feeling slightly excited that the baby will be coming sooner rather than later. I do think if I had been more clued up last time I would have explored the possibility of waiting a bit longer for the C section as I feel 39 weeks is a bit early so I am a little bit pleased that it has been picked up later in the day this time.
Hope it's not offensive to anyone saying the tearing stage - have just been very fixated with it all the way through the pregnancy as I seem to know way to many people who had problems (more than is statistically likely it seems). I'm just focusing on the positives of a possible 2nd CS!
you know the other great thing about C-sections only?
you will be always "honeymoon fresh" down there, no damage to your vagina, no episiotomy scars to heal from either!
I can't tell you not to feel sad about this.
I think most women who end up never giving birth vaginally feel some degree of "oh damn, I wish I could have" (resource: loads of friends!) but they tend to get over it and a few years down the line it doesn't bother them
precisely because they know that there was a very good reason to have ELSC (or EMSC) and what really matters at the end is having a healthy baby and mum.
but you know this already
so I hereby give you permission to be a bit upset, but promise me you will walk into theatre with a big smile on your face, ok?
(FWIW I had ELSC with DS4 as he was footling breech.
DS1 was forceps, massive episiotomy, PPH - very traumatic birth.
I'd choose an ELSC over that in a heartbeat!)
Thanks again. My ELCS with DS was really special so I think it will be ok. I am bit worried about explaining to DS that he can't use me as a climbing frame after but he is about as sensible as a 3 year old can be.
I still might try spending some time on all fours between now and then to see if the baby will move but I don't think I will spend any money on it. I'll save it for taking DC2 to a cranial osteopath as I wish I'd done that sooner with DS.
I am glad I can get childcare sorted out sooner but we will have to make the decision if we are going to ask my MIL to travel across. I really didn't want anyone else around after DS was born (my parents live quite far away) and while it would be really helpful to have her here I don't know if I could cope with having her around when I got home from hospital. Lots to think about! Thanks for the messages.
Join the discussion
Please login first.