Advanced search

To induce or not to induce, that is the question

(22 Posts)
Gen35 Tue 22-Apr-14 13:31:38

Yes good luck op, it'll be ok in the end, however it goes and you'll have your lovely baby

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 13:18:10

I meant to add I have a variation of your situation - I had ELSC with DS4 so I can't be induced, so if baby's not coming on its own I'll be having another ELSC, which will be booked for the latest possible date.
They will let me go 13-14 days over.
(I'm due on 15th July and will be booked for 28th or 29th)

had DS5 & DD since ELSC, both VBAC thankfully as sweeps & sex worked for us, he was 9 days late, she was 6 days late.
(really hoping for the same again)

good luck whatever you decide!

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 13:13:15

That's a 2.5 week difference, but I'd go with dating scan.

it's your choice as in if you don't want to be induced they can't force you.

have you had any sweeps yet? I'd push for those, as many as you can fit in.
and ask to be booked for induction on 29th when you will be 14 days over by earliest EDD.

frankiebuns Tue 22-Apr-14 12:33:34

They had my dates wrong as son was huge on scans I knew when he was due we only dun it once that month so knew it had to be I was by their dates 15 days over by my dates I was only 2 days over due!

Hazchem Tue 22-Apr-14 08:01:01

It's your body and it totally up to you if you choose to be induced or not. There are some risks with induction, there are some risks with waiting. This is a good blog The writer is a midwife with a Phd who spent a long time working in UK but now practices in Australia.

Madasabox Mon 21-Apr-14 20:57:51

Being induced tomorrow on my due date. It's my 3rd induction. Not took keen on being induced. Really wanted to start myself, but could I live with myself if something happened? I am also 39 and have GD and excess amniotic fluid hence the induction.

It's not that bad honestly

Mummmmmy1995 Mon 21-Apr-14 18:40:49

Hi, I am the same. I was due on the 15th April, I have an inducing date for the 25th of April, I am doing everything I can to have him before then. I really don't want to be induced, but if worst comes to worst i'll have to be induced.

EllaBella220 Mon 21-Apr-14 18:22:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Penguinita Mon 21-Apr-14 16:49:28

It is a difficult decision, I really sympathise. I'd suggest to read up on the statistics about how the risk of stillbirth increases the longer you go overdue, and also the risks of complications from induction, to weigh up the benefits and risks from your own perspective.

From my reading, the two weeks overdue is just a recommendation in the UK and the risks don't suddenly change at that time. In some countries they let women go 4 weeks over, in others they induce almost straight away after 40 weeks. Don't feel forced into doing something you are not comfortable with.

NICE guidelines are useful

Parliamo Mon 21-Apr-14 16:25:20

My, that was an essay!

*all ready

Parliamo Mon 21-Apr-14 16:23:58

I'd start asking questions about the induction policy at your hospital. I have had two inductions dd1 and dd3, first one awful, 2nd one pretty good.

First one was ARM, followed by immediate syntocin drip and was way too fast and painful. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have insisted on waiting between ARM and drip as I think breaking my waters would have been enough (I was 40+14, as per policy). Failing that I would have wanted an epidural.

Four years later everything had changed. Shiny new mlu usually want you to go in at +10 to allow extra time for new induction procedure before +14. One propess(sp?) pessary was enough and I got to stay in mlu. But at midnight they wanted to move me to horrible old consultant led unit for continuous monitoring.

Which is all a long way of saying, I didn't refuse induction because I knew I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if something had gone wrong and I had gone against advice, however small the risk and arbitrary the policy. And the best way to manage an induction IMO, is to arm yourself with as much info as possible so you can be proactive about your care. If I had waited till +15, no mlu, no waterbirth, no natural 3rd stage...

Good luck, I broke my heart going to hospital for dd3 as we were already for a home waterbirth, but it turned out fine

Chunderella Mon 21-Apr-14 16:03:37

Given your age, I'd probably be tempted to go for the induction.

CinnamonPlums Mon 21-Apr-14 13:43:17


CinnamonPlums Mon 21-Apr-14 13:42:56

Is there a reason you don't want to be induced?
It's not as bad as the NCC make out you know!

I've had two spontaneous and one induction. I was induced at 37 weeks for dd2 due to complications and it was fine. Nice to be in the hospital all ready, and quite relaxing to chill out all day with magazines and chocolate waiting for it to kick off.

As you can tell if I were you I'd book in for the induction, get yourself a sweep in the mean time, and get your little one out!

EllaBella220 Mon 21-Apr-14 13:34:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gen35 Mon 21-Apr-14 13:32:15

In the US you can delay induction by having the baby monitored every day. I'd book it in and then talk about delaying it the day before if still no baby without help. I didn't though, I was induced. I was concerned about the risk of stillbirth but much research now says that is minimal.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Mon 21-Apr-14 12:54:52

It is very unlikely your scan is that far out. Bear in mind that sperm can live in the fallopian tubes for quite a while (I have read up to two weeks) so you can conceive quite a long time after you last had sex. (I presume you also realise that, at the date you conceive, you are two weeks pregnant).

FoodieMum3 Mon 21-Apr-14 12:46:51

How many weeks were you at the first scan? 12 weeks or before are very accurate,to the very day in all 3 of my pregnancies. They can vary by a week after that but not more than a week, I would think.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 21-Apr-14 12:40:45

I really don't think a first scan can be that far out. They're very accurate down to measurements of mm.

I'm no expert on conception dates/cycle lengths, etc but I always thought the date you conceived is kind of irrelevant when working out your edd. Most people aren't actually pregnant for the first two weeks of their pregnancy as they conceive mid cycle. So your lmp or scan date edds would be most accurate.

No one can say if it would be safe or not to not be induced. Some hospitals due to your age would actually want to induce you straight after your due date due to increasing research about placentas in older mums failing sooner. There is an increased risk of stillbirth the further overdue you go. No idea of actual percentage statistics though, sorry.

Have you got a consultant appt to discuss induction?

Kimco11 Mon 21-Apr-14 12:29:49

We know the conception date due to activity in the bedroom that particular month.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Mon 21-Apr-14 12:12:54

That is a big variation. Why do you think your due date is so much later than your lmp date? Do you have very long cycles?

Kimco11 Mon 21-Apr-14 11:55:18

FTM here at the ripe age 39 years (almost 40) and will be 41 weeks tomorrow. At my midwife appt. tomorrow, they will want to book me in for induction for around the 27th April. I wanted to ask your opinions on induction as it something I am very unsure of and want to try to avoid.

Some facts:
- Due date 15th April given after 1st scan
- Original due date 18th April based on LMP
- 1st/2nd May approx. due date based on knowing when we conceived (figured out by me)

I guess my question is would it be safe to hold out on being induced? Has anyone else refused to be induced? If so, what was your experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now