Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strep B testing question

(12 Posts)
HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 10:43:42

I have done a lot maybe too much reading in this pregnancy and have decided to do a private strep B test.

I am on antibiotics at the moment because I had a high amount of leukocytes in my urine, but the GP didn't send the sample away so is just assuming I have a water infection even though I don't have any symptoms.

My question is when to take the test now I'm on antibiotics? I'm 35 weeks but don't want to take the test and get a false negative because the antib's may have temporarily wiped out the infection, if there is one. Perhaps waiting to 38 weeks to do it would be best?

Thank you!!

HolidayArmadillo Mon 21-Apr-14 10:47:54

As it's a transient infection it could be that you have it today and not by the time you deliver anyway? Or vice versa.

Mrswellyboot Mon 21-Apr-14 10:50:19

I'm not sure, I was given antibiotics during labour as I tested postive during a routine smear several years ago. I don't know would the antibiotics wipe that strain out? Have you a check up soon to ask?

HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 11:05:58

Ahh I'm so annoyed he threw my urine sample away! I'm not sure if the antibiotics would get rid of it... Gah. I see my midwife on Wednesday but might pop into my GP tomorrow for some swabs anyway as I'm sure I have thrush yet again angry

HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 19:06:41

Bumping this as I'm actually really worried now!

HolidayCriminal Mon 21-Apr-14 19:19:28

The problem with GBS testing is that there are a lot of other risk factors that are equally important. That's a big reason why it's not routinely tested for in the UK.

I can't advise about when to test, but as others point out, it's a transient infection so the exact answer may not help you make a good choice, anyway. I would look into the other risk factors (waters breaking long before the birth, pre term labour, etc) and keep them in mind before deciding what to do with the results of your test.

bakingtins Mon 21-Apr-14 19:40:21

They recommend you do the test close to term anyway because it's most likely to reflect the situation when you are in labour. The results come back v quickly (48 hrs).
Friends who have tested positive have been treated with penicillin so it's quite likely whatever you are on would get rid of it temporarily.
I'd wait until 37-38 weeks.
I agree with holiday that the other risk factors are important too, but the point is they don't routinely give antibiotics when those risk factors are present, or monitor baby post birth more carefully, unless they know you are GBS +ve. I have a friend whose first baby was infected despite a quick labour and no obvious risk factors, only thanks to a vigilant community MW he was treated quickly (and thankfully recovered fully after a few weeks in hospital) and then subsequent babies were treated/monitored and were fine (I think her labours were too short for her to have however many doses they recommend of antibiotics)
I've tested negative in previous pregnancies. It makes me quite cross how much fuss they make about it if they know you are positive, yet quite a lot of people are and have no idea. Obviously mostly it's fine and infection is not passed on, but it's devastating if your baby is infected.

HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 19:50:53

Ah bugger. I've been on the antibiotics for two days now, if I pop back into the doctors tomorrow with a urine sample and a swab do you think it would still be present or wiped out in two days?

If so, I'm wondering how long it takes it to recolonise? It's my first pregnancy and I'm not expecting to come before 40wks but obviously it's still a roll of the dice.

bakingtins Mon 21-Apr-14 20:14:45

I don't know - you can ask, but (as a vet) we take any urine cultures whilst the patient is on antibiotics with a very large pinch of salt. Penicillin type antibiotics are excreted in urine and reach high concentrations v quickly.

Personally I'd wait until you'd been off the antibiotics for a week or two then do the Doctor's Laboratory test (vaginal and rectal swabs)

coffeetofunction Mon 21-Apr-14 20:33:42

Can I ask where the test is from... My 1st DS contracted GBS, I labour very quickly & have a feeling I won't get antibiotics in time again & would be interested I doing a test also...

HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 20:45:53

bakingtins thank you for that - I'll give my GP a call tomorrow and get her advice but I'm thinking in two weeks or so it should be fine <crosses fingers>

coffee this page lists all of the places you can order them from... Hope your DS was okay


coffeetofunction Mon 21-Apr-14 22:29:13

That's great thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now