Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bottle Feeding in hospital questions

(15 Posts)
WhatsTheWordHummingbird Sat 05-Apr-14 17:52:33

I bf'd dd whilst in hospital last time round then by day five was changing to ff as I utterly hated bfing.

Im now expecting dc2 and planned on taking a few ready made cartons into the hospital for the baby but, having not done this at hopital before, im not sure how I go about washing and sterilising the bottles between feeds.

What have other done?

CookieB Sat 05-Apr-14 17:56:49

I bf both dc but the hospital provided little disposable bottles pre-made with SMA gold for ff mums. I haven't been in a mat ward for 6 yrs now though but I imagine its still the same set up. No idea if they actually provide different brands though.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 05-Apr-14 18:00:27

You need to ask your hospital. A lot don't now provide formula for ffing mums and you are right you would need to take your own. They vary quite a lot on set up for bottles, etc though, so you need to ask your specific hospital.

Bankholidaybaby Sat 05-Apr-14 18:03:29

Most brands seem to sell packs containing enough 90ml bottles of ready-to-feed formula and disposable, sterilised teats to last a day or two.

MeepMeepVroooom Sat 05-Apr-14 18:06:14

The hospital I was in provided the pre-made bottles. Check with the hospital and if they don't there is a link to the bottles below.

www.mothercare.com/SMA-First-Starter-Pack---6-x-100ml/808930,default,pd.html

KatAndKit Sat 05-Apr-14 18:08:17

Yes, if your hospital don't provide ready to feed bottles then one of those starter packs with 48 hours worth of tiny bottles is your best bet. They are not cheap but they are sterile and disposable and would be so much easier for you than trying to make up powdered feeds in hospital

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Sat 05-Apr-14 18:41:11

Oh those tiny premade bottles look ideal. Stress free!

I know SILs hospital provided teeny ready bottles, but she was in a different borough to me.

I will ask the question at my next MW appointment.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Sat 05-Apr-14 18:43:23

Those Mothercare ones say "box of six" on the box and "box of twelve" in the description confused

ilovepowerhoop Sat 05-Apr-14 18:53:27

says box of 6 for me. There are bigger packs of other milks that have 12 in them that are around £13

ilovepowerhoop Sat 05-Apr-14 18:54:38

C&G 12 pack

Tea1Sugar Sat 05-Apr-14 19:00:50

I've bout aptamil starter packs. £8.99 for six ready made bottles.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:58

Grand. So just over a quid a bottle - I suppose it is worth it for the convenience! And id imagine I can buy in advance and they have a long shelf life.

DD fed three hourly, so I guess I could take one box in, then if need to stay in longer (im GBS +) I could get someone to bring more in.

Will definetly ask the question first. 100mls - is that just an Oz? I worked in oz with DD and she would take 2/2.5oz per feed.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 05-Apr-14 19:05:30

there are approx 30mls in 1oz so 100mls is just over 3oz

Endymion Sat 05-Apr-14 19:07:09

100ml is about 3oz.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Sat 05-Apr-14 19:18:34

Ah perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now