Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need DM to back off a bit...

(6 Posts)
Diamondsareagirls Thu 03-Apr-14 17:00:30

I guess this is a bit of am aibu but very related to my pregnancy.
A bit of background: for various reasons I don't have a very close relationship with my DM. She has never been a particularly 'maternal' type but particularly since my sister and I have become adults she has not been very involved in our lives. Not a problem in itself but makes her current behaviour confusing.

I am due to give birth next week and since I have been on maternity leave (last 3 weeks) she has been in constant touch with me via phone calls and text messages. I am finding it very frustrating if I'm honest as I am uncomfortable and fed up without feeling like a 'watched pot'. I also feel there is an element of her testing me to check I will get in touch when I go into labour and this is how she will know if I don't tell her as she won't get a reply to her constant messages.

Does anyone else find the constant checks from their family annoying? I'm really tempted to tell her to back off and I will be on touch once I have given birth!

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Thu 03-Apr-14 17:07:25

Can you just ignore her calls?

juliec26 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:30:15

Um yes just said to my sister if one more person ask me if I have any signs/twinges I'm gonna scream .. Every time I call Dm/MIL/ friends they all think I'm in labour .. I'm due next Wednesday, but both my 2 previous dc came in 39th week ... Going to stop calling people and answering the phone ... If I go overdue I think I will go mad from the constant watching!! smile

Diamondsareagirls Thu 03-Apr-14 17:35:43

I know I should just ignore the calls - I can't really explain why I feel the need to respond but I think it is just the need to get her off my back!

juliec26 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:46:40

Just say you'll. be the first to know when it happens .. If it continues with my friends/ family I know I will end up saying something and it probably won't be put in the most sensitive way knowing me

juliec26 Thu 03-Apr-14 18:10:43

Just say you'll. be the first to know when it happens .. My mum has just asked me for 3rd time today If I have any pains.. Told her it's really annoying and to stop asking me .. She said well u had the other 2 at this time .. I said well this one might come in 2 weeks! Lol ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now