Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Washing baby equipment?

(16 Posts)
weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:38:54

I've been lucky to have have given a bunch of second hand baby things like a pram, car seat, swing etc. I know where they all came from and am happy that everything's safe. Just wondering about washing them. The cover on the Maxi Cosi seat (for ex) doesn't come off. I've wiped it down with warm water and it's pretty clean looking (no stains or anything). Is that good enough? What did anyone else do with their cot etc? (I wiped cot down with dettol spray but not sure about using it on fabric). I have 6 days to go and am starting to obsess about stuff like this mainly because I'm just nervous lol. Tell me to calm down!! :-)

JuniperTisane Thu 03-Apr-14 11:42:48

What fabric do you have on your cot that can't be chucked in the washing machine? Wiping down hard surfaces with dettol is plenty enough, soft stuff can be washed. I'm sure if you really want to the carseat fabric does come off. My maxi-cosi Pebble did.

Roseandmabelshouse Thu 03-Apr-14 11:46:41

I would get a new mattress for the cot. Everything else on a gentle wash?

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:46:42

No the cot has no fabric, I just mean I don't want to use dettol spray on the car seat. I will check again if the cover comes off though!

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:47:19

Cot has a new mattress, I'm really just wondering about fabric things that can't go in the washing machine.

ThedementedPenguin Thu 03-Apr-14 11:50:38

I took the cover off my maxi cosi cabriofix car seat yesterday to wash it.

I'm making Dp put it back on as it looks harder. smile

You tube it.

FobblyWoof Thu 03-Apr-14 11:50:45

It does come off a maxi-cosi but I've heard it's a total arse. YouTube clips should help!

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:51:21

I will youtube it lol, thanks! I definitely can't figure it out on my own. Good to know they'll go in the machine.

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:56:35

Holy crap, what a total and utter faff! lol. I can't even do it with the video. Might just use a light washing powder solution and wipe off.

GoooRooo Thu 03-Apr-14 11:56:49

Yeah I'd be surprised if it didn't come off. My DS gets terrible travel sickness and our car would stink of puke by now if we couldnt wash the carseat cover!

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 11:58:01

I believe everyone that it does. It is just defeating me! Will ask previous owner what she did.

Beccadugs Thu 03-Apr-14 12:08:42

I didn't wash my (admittedly new) car seat cover. I put a muslin under DDs head to catch any sick/spitups, which works for now!

I'm sure the time will come when a removal and wash is required!!

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 12:14:58

Ah ha! There is a secret button at the back which releases the rim and makes it possible to remove things. Yay!!

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 12:22:11

It's in the wash now. Bet I go into labour before it's dry lol

Christelle2207 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:15:40

Maxi cosi cover is a PITA to get off and worse to get back on. IIRC there is a good video on youtube tho.

weebigmamma Thu 03-Apr-14 15:37:36

I might have to consult it to get the bugger back on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now