Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking appointment: medical history questions

(6 Posts)
soundsystem Thu 03-Apr-14 10:20:12

Can anyone tell me what sort of medical conditions they ask about at the booking appointment? All the info just says they ask for a family medical history. We both have limited knowledge of our families medical histories and would be useful to know what sort of things are important and what isn't so we can find out in advance.

I think heart diease, diabetes, mental health problems.. what else?

Thanks smile

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 03-Apr-14 10:40:05

I only had my app yesterday and I've forgotten half of what I was asked. Here's what I can remember.

Any of your gynae issues, eg abnormal smears etc.
high blood pressure is another.
Any possible hereditary conditions, eg cystic fibrosis.
Allergies to meds, anaesthetics and foods.

If you are unsure of anything don't panic. I don't know much about my dad's side of the family but had enough info for my MW to get a general idea.

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 03-Apr-14 10:51:05

I've copies out the list from my maternity notes below, our consultant said that it is mostly you and your partner that they are interested in, although your parents and your silblings also have to be taken into account. In our NHS trust, grandparents aren't taken into account, although I think they are in some NHS trusts.
I was also told that my family history was much more important then DH's, and despite a lot of health issues and problems from the list below running in his family, as he didn't have any of them, they weren't even noted down in my maternity notes.

Diabetes
Thrombosis or any other blood clotting issues (such as haemophilia)
Any cardiac problems
High blood pressure/pre -eclampsia
Hip problems from birth
Mental illness
Sickle cell anaemia
Thallassaemia
P.H
Any disease which runs in families
Stillbirths or multiple miscarriages
Sudden infant death
Learning difficulties
Hearing loss from childhood
Heart problems from birth
Abnormalities present at birth
Autoimmune diseases
Blood group/rhesus status (your's and your partner's but don't worry if you don't know as they can find out when they take bloods)

Hope this helps smile

Sunnysummer Thu 03-Apr-14 11:07:40

It's helpful to know if your own close female relatives (mother / sisters especially) have had complications during pregnancy, birth or afterwards, as some of these issues can be familial.

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 11:45:18

All the others plus
High blood pressure & pre-eclampsia
Miscarriage/stillbirth (but may have been due to my own history)
Previous substance use if any.

soundsystem Thu 03-Apr-14 14:47:56

That's brilliant, thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now