Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cramps at 38 weeks can you describe them to me

(8 Posts)
Sweetpea86 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:31:31

Pregnant with my first so I have no idea I'm getting lots of cramping like period pains. Also when they get quite strong it feels like I'm nervous you know that feeling of butterfly's for a job interview or like u need a poop lol.

Also getting shooting pains up my vagina

Then it wears off.

I'm not due till 16th April so I'm aware this can go on for weeks sad

Kind of hope I don't go in to labour now hubby starts a new job tomorrow won't look good will it lol

Sweetpea86 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:32:38

Oh and my lower abdomen goes tight now and again too more so at night

kjh5 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:45:50

Sweetpea if it makes you feel any better I've had this since the end of last week (am now 37weeks). It is pretty common around this point in pregnancy and means that something is happening (although you probably aren't going into labour).

Stabby pains sound like the baby's head engaging and the 'period pains' and tightenings are pretty much exactly what my Braxton Hicks contractions feel like. It's just your uterus getting ready to give birth. The advice from my midwife was to call the hospital if your waters break or if you get any bleeding. Mine has now been ongoing for five days and even although it is still a little early I'm really hoping this baby arrives soon! Fx for you smile

Sweetpea86 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:51:35

Glad I'm not the only one. It's so frustrating, I've had them for about 4 days. I didn't think it was signs of labour just wishful thinking hehe.

But it's reassuring that it means my body is getting ready for it. Fingers crossed it won't be long for both of us.

41 weeks and I'll be still here asking is this labour haha

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 02-Apr-14 13:57:29

Sounds like Braxton Hicks. Hate to say it, but I had them for four weeks with my second! Think it was about a fortnight with my first.

mandbaby Wed 02-Apr-14 14:07:39

I had braxton hicks daily from 20 weeks with my previous two pregnancies and they didn't really sound like what you're describing. With BH, your belly goes VERY tight for 30-60 seconds (my very round bump used to almost look square or triangular), but there wouldn't be any tightening in my vag, and I also didn't get butterflies or the feeling I might poo.

To be honest, the butterflies/pooing sensation and the pain in my vag were, for me, the first signs of labour. Not wanting to scare you, but I would just bear in mind that it COULD be the start. Keep an eye on the timings of the tightenings and if you're worried, ring your MW.

josephine1986 Wed 02-Apr-14 14:54:48

Yes agree with poster above, for me these were signs of labour. I had on off period pains of varying regularity and increasing intensity, for about 5 days, then gave birth at 38 weeks.
Good news is with a slow starting labour the main bit happens quite quickly! And my birth was great!

Sweetpea86 Wed 02-Apr-14 17:10:42

Aww thank you I'm feeling positive trying not to obsess with every twinge and just try and relax.

Spicy food for tea tonight....smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now