Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How close to your due date would you take a tip away from home?

(6 Posts)
seashell81 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:13:39

Hi, I'm expecting my first baby on 26th May. My DP is working away from home the first week of May and would really like me to go with him. It isn't leaving the country or anything but is a 5 hour drive to part of the country where I have no intention of giving birth! Is it considered risky to go away from home 3 weeks before your due date? I know they say to expect delivery 2 weeks either side of due date. I meant to ask my midwife at this week's appointment but totally forgot!
Thanks.

LightTripper Wed 02-Apr-14 12:19:15

Personally I would probably go: it is not very likely you give birth that early, and if you do I would rather give birth in the wrong hospital with my DP there than in the right hospital with him 5 hours away! I would just take my notes and hospital bag essentials, and research the local maternity units and make sure I had a list of the relevant phone numbers for them just in case.

LightTripper Wed 02-Apr-14 12:20:09

P.S. I am 37 weeks today, and still have loads to do at work before she is allowed to arrive (!), so the idea it is very unlikely that you give birth that early may of course be partly wishful thinking on my part smile

StetsonsAreCool Wed 02-Apr-14 12:35:48

My dd was born on 26th may (4 years ago though).

We live in the midlands and went to a wedding in Aberdeen the last week in April before she was born.

So I say go. Maybe take your notes and perhaps a condensed version of your hospital bag, just in case.

GoooRooo Wed 02-Apr-14 12:36:47

I wouldn't go - but I gave birth three weeks early last time and I found the last two or three weeks before that really tiring and hard to get around.

OsMalleytheCat Wed 02-Apr-14 12:41:39

I went for a long weekend away, a four hours drive from home at 38 weeks but DS wasn't born until 42 weeks.

Also 5 hours isn't really that long in terms of labour, especially with your first, of course you could be the exception to the rule.

Take your hospital bag/notes with you though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now