Advanced search

No doctors will see me?

(19 Posts)
cactus123 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:13:34


I'm 20 years old and currently roughly 10 weeks pregnant with an accidental pregnancy, however I have no idea if that figure is correct as I haven't been able to see a doctor!

I found out last tuesday that I was pregnant and have taken 4 tests. Firstly I went to the walk in centre as I'm not registered with a GP. They were unhelpful and did another test to confirm as well as doing an STI test which I didn't want. They then told me to go to the doctor about it. I've been into various doctors to try to register and they all either tell me there will be a 2-3 week waiting list, or refer me to a different walk in clinic. I've been to this other walk in clinic that I've been referred to 3 times with no luck, they tell me to go to the doctor! I've also got in touch with 3 hospitals as recommened by the walk in centre when I told them the GP told me to go to them, however the hospitals were unhelpful too and told me to go back to the GP!

I've managed to finally register (temporarily) at my boyfriends GP and requested an appointment today which they said should be fine. The doctor rang me and briefly spoke about the pregnancy but didn't book me in for an appointment but told me to go in AGAIN today to book in to see a midwife, which will take approx 2-3 weeks at the earliest!

Am I overreacting or do I have a right to be pee'd off that absolutely NOBODY will see me? sad I still am not 100% that I'm going to keep the baby, although I'm 99% sure I will. But what if there's something wrong?! And what if I'm further along than I think?! I've literally had no advice at all and it's so scary! I'm worried sick and don't feel as though I can wait another 2-3 weeks, and even then I won't get a scan straight away I assume??

If anybody could shed some light I'd be so appreciative! Thank you x

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 02-Apr-14 12:29:37

You don't tend to see a GP about pregnancy, you see the midwife. If you see a GP they will just refer you to the midwife, so a waste of time.

However, if you are not planning on continuing the pregnancy you will of course have to see a doctor, so if it is urgent you could go to a clinic.

Do you know the date of your last period? That is how you date your pregnancy, not from when you had unprotected sex. When you see the midwife she will ask you the date of your last period to work out how many weeks you are, she doesn't have any other test at this stage. You will then be booked in for a scan at around 12 weeks, known as the dating scan, which will give a better idea.

TheScience Wed 02-Apr-14 12:30:39

Generally GPs don't have much to do with pregnancy - it'll be midwives who see you. Book in with midwife as soon as you can and tell them you aren't sure of your dates. Usually the midwife sees you at about 10 weeks and you have a scan around 12 weeks.

cactus123 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:32:52

My periods are irregular so I'm not sure how accurate it'll be sad I had my last proper period on the 4th Jan, however I had some very very light spotting on 17th feb which I assume was my period trying to appear. Thank you, I'll book in with a midwife today

hubbahubster Wed 02-Apr-14 12:37:30

In your position I'd ask the midwife to refer you to the EPU for an early scan before she even sees you for your regular prenatal appointment, since you're unsure of dates and have irregular periods anyway.

Clargo55 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:41:26

You really need to have a scan. My last period was on the 5th of Feb so that dates me at 8weeks. If your period was in January you will be roughly 3months.

The spotting could have been an implantation bleed. Could you afford a private scan? could make things a bit clearer without the waiting. They cost around £59 around here for a dating scan.

MigGril Wed 02-Apr-14 12:49:25

If you only had very light spotting in Feb it was most likely an implation bleed very common. which could make you 3 months already. I'd ring the midwife and ask for a dating scan, they should be able to arrange one quickly.

TheScience Wed 02-Apr-14 12:56:21

I would ring the midwife and tell her your last period was 4th Jan - they will try to get you seen asap.

squizita Wed 02-Apr-14 13:14:11

You can self refer to a midwife - google 'ante natal services' + your local town. There will be a direct number.

misog2000 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:40

I'd start tak

misog2000 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:18:39

Posted too soon sorry, I'd start taking some folic acid ASAP too, I just bought mine from the supermarket. Good luck, hope you manage to get seen soon

cactus123 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:27:17

Thank you everyone. I've just googled ante natal services in my area and saw a glimmer of hope when the nhs website came up saying I could refer myself to a midwife directly! However, I just rang the same hospital I rang yesterday again saying I'd like to book in to see a midwife and they were pretty rude and abrupt saying that it was news to them that you could book in directly. This is all ridiculously stressful, I just want to check that everything's okay and actually know how far gone I am!

I have found a private ultrasound clinic that charge £99 which I'm tempted to do, if I can scrape the spare cash together which will be a struggle.

I also started taking pregnancy multivits last week smile

Thanks for all your help

ClairesTravellingCircus Wed 02-Apr-14 13:31:38

If I remember correctly you need to selfrefer to the community midwife who is normally linked with the gp, not through the hospital.

Hope someone with better knowledge can help you!

Longtalljosie Wed 02-Apr-14 13:36:29

OK - this is ridiculous. You don't need to pay private and even if you did it wouldn't "count", so to speak, if you're going to continue the pregnancy under NHS care.

You need to go to whichever doctor you want to be your GP in person. Ask to speak to the practice manager, and check they cover your address and have vacancies.

Then explain you're in a bit of a fix, you're 10 weeks pregnant, not registered with a GP because your health is usually excellent and you were expecting to register the first time you needed one and you never have (I wouldn't do this again btw but we are where we are). Explain that you know you need your 12 week scan soon but no-one will let you see a doctor for three weeks and you need to get the ball rolling.

Do not leave until it has been sorted. You might be told off (answer, well yes but there it is, what can now be done); told you can't see a doctor ("well how can you get me to a 12 week scan without being booked in") told to book directly with the midwife ("I understand that's possible but they have refused"). Just the act of standing there in reception will get it sorted.

dannydyerismydad Wed 02-Apr-14 13:37:11

Do you have a local surestart children's centre? In some areas community midwives are based there and you can book in.

Otherwise community midwives run clinics at GP surgeries once a week. Go to your local surgery, register as a patient (you'll probably need birth certificate, photo ID and a couple of bills showing your address to do this). Then ask for a "community midwife booking in appointment".

Fruli Wed 02-Apr-14 13:39:20

You need to get registered with a GP and book in with the community midwife attached to your local service. It doesn't matter what the waiting list is like for the GPs, providing you are on it, the MW team should see you. Some surgeries have their own MW, some operate out of a hub that isn't physically part of the surgery. Google will help you here. Ask to speak with one of the MW, and see if they will arrange for you to have a scan before your booking appt if possible (some can do the two together, but this isn't common). This way you can be dated and get the NT measurement if you would like it, for screening, before the booking appt which is a lot of chat and some bloods.

Heatherbell1978 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:49:46

Where I live, you self refer yourself to the midwife. I phoned the doctor when I found out to make an appointment and the receptionist gave me the number of the midwife. They asked me a few questions and then I got an appointment for when I was approx 8 weeks along. Try and find the number of the community midwife team where you live.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 02-Apr-14 13:55:20

Yes, it's the community midwives you need, not hospital ones.

They will do what they can to get you a scan ASAP, as they'll want it be done by 12-14 weeks (from start of last proper period) and you could be that for along already.

I left it quite late to tell my GP I was pregnant with dd, about ten weeks, as I'd had a miscarriage previously and wanted to feel as sure as possible this one was 'real' before booking in. They still got me scan at 12 weeks.

The NHS is not very joined up. People know the services they work with but not how other areas work, which is why you're not getting very complete or helpful advice from anyone.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 02-Apr-14 14:08:22

OK, so you say you are registered with your boyfriend's GP as a Temporary Resident?

I would phone the surgery (no need to go in) and ask to either be put through to the Community Midwife or ask for her phone number. Sometimes, the Community Midwife works out of an office in the same building as the GP which is why they sometimes can and sometimes can't put you through directly. If they can put you through, it will probably be to an answerphone as Community Midwives are obviously out in the community most of the time. I am sure they will return your call ASAP though.

Your other option is to phone the surgery and say that you need to see a Dr urgently. A normal pregnancy booking in would obviously not be urgent, but as you do not really know how many weeks pregnant you are (could be as much as 3 months already) AND are not 100% sure that you want to continue with the pregnancy you cannot be waiting another 2-3 weeks to be seen. You may have to be quite assertive to get an urgent (same day) appointment but, contrary to popular belief, you actually do not have to tell the Receptionist why you want to see a Dr! It is certainly NOT the Receptionist's decision as to whether you warrant a same day appointment or not. I have worked in 3 GP's surgeries as a Receptionist and the rule is always that if the patient says it is urgent, it must be treated as urgent.

Good luck, there is no need for this situation at all sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now