Talk

Advanced search

Small car and pram...

(20 Posts)
Sleepyhoglet Wed 02-Apr-14 11:21:12

I don't currently have a car. I'm currently pregnant. I intend to buy a car, but smallish and will also have to buy a pushchair for dc1. I'm not a confident driver, and would ideally get the smallest car possible but I realise this might not be a good idea if then a pram won't fit. Can anyone suggest a small easy to drive car that has a reasonable sized Boot?

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Wed 02-Apr-14 11:24:20

I had an old style Micra which I adored! The boot was a decent size in proprtion with the car size and I have a long Maclaren which fit.

When I went for my next car I contemplated just getting a Swift but the boot was teensy - three small shopping bags would have filled it.

Just whatever you do, get a five door!

Mrsantithetic Wed 02-Apr-14 11:27:22

I had a yaris that comfortably took my travel system although I had up put the base in the boot and the pram but on back seat but my sola fit in the boot without an issue

StarsInTheNightSky Wed 02-Apr-14 11:36:34

I have a Kia Picanto (2010 edition, not the new one) and I love it! It's been brilliant, really cheap to run and very economical, plus it's 5 door and pretty spacious inside for a small car. We're getting the UppaBaby Vista pram which is supposed to be quite bulky and it fits in the boot without any problems.

Fairypants Wed 02-Apr-14 11:42:51

My last car was a dihatsu sirion. Very small and easy to manoeuvre but 5 door and the boot was plenty big enough for a big travel system. It was also very cheap both to buy and run.
I've since changed it for a fiat 500 which is fab but I am limited in pram choice (luckily the one I want will fit but many wont.)

Sleepyhoglet Wed 02-Apr-14 11:45:43

Thanks! I just wish I didn't have to buy both car and pram at similar times. I know nothing about either! I'm so unexcited by prams. They all look so bulky. Quinny buzz looks cute though.

CarCiKoTab Wed 02-Apr-14 11:47:23

Funny you have put this up I have a Citroen Saxo desire for sale, I have three children at the moment and manage perfectly I'll send you the link if you like. It's only a 1.1L but I have baby number 4 on the way so need a bigger car. PM me if you want.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Wed 02-Apr-14 11:48:01

Have a look at the Bugaboo Bee - very compact and easy to use. Youtube have some good demo videos on for all pram types which show you how to fold and how small they fold.

Dazedconfused Wed 02-Apr-14 11:50:04

I have a fiat pinto which is small but spacious inside...I am selling it if you would like it grin

MissHC Wed 02-Apr-14 11:52:13

I found a Ford Fiesta easy to drive and decent size boot. Also quite good head hight.

Boogles91 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:57:29

Why drive if you think your not very confident on the road lol dont mean that to sound offensive so please dont take any, just i feel the same even though i can drive but as i dont trust myself i choose not to smile i just feel that im safer, and other people are safer without another plank on the road lol smile(not you, me) x

MrsMillions Wed 02-Apr-14 12:03:29

I've got a 5 door VW Polo and my Bugaboo Cameleon fits in with rear wheels removed - very easy to do. I could just about fit the base plus pram top in, it's much easier now DD uses the pushchair seat.

One thing I would say is I'm surprised how much space her Maxi Cosi car seat (plus Isofix base) takes. She sits behind me in the Polo as I park it in our garage and that side is easiest to get in/out of, and I can't really have my seat as far back as I'd like. DH has an Audi Q5 (not a small car by any means) and she has to sit behind the passenger seat due to the space the seat takes up. So whichever way round you buy car and pram/car seat, make sure you check car seat and front seat positions as well as boot space.

Sleepyhoglet Wed 02-Apr-14 13:00:27

Boogles- I say I'm not confident as I passed my test over a year ago but as we only have one car and because I'm not keen, I have barely driven since. I intend buy a car before my bump gets big and practice with my dh. I want to drive for independence as the bus from my village only goes to the city and not to other surrounding towns etc where there are groups/ swimming pools/ supermarket etc. Also when I go back to work it will be essential. I'm just trying to be practical. Luckily the drives round here are straightforward and nowhere is too far.

Sleepyhoglet Wed 02-Apr-14 13:01:26

Beginning to think I should buy the pram first!!

CarCiKoTab Wed 02-Apr-14 13:16:47

Maybe it would be wise to buy the car first because you can gain confidence before baby arrives, and with a car you won't necessarily need a pram immediately.

KatAndKit Wed 02-Apr-14 13:22:09

Buy the car first not the pram! I have a vw polo, there are plenty of buggies i can get in the boot and I have not had any trouble with car seats either. If you go any smaller than that you will find your choices of baby equipment more restricted. Definitely get 5 door if you can. There is no advantage in having the tiniest car, I can't see why it would make you feel more confident. A nice sized hatchback like a polo or a corsa or a fiesta is perfect.

KatAndKit Wed 02-Apr-14 13:26:19

Buy the car first not the pram! I have a vw polo, there are plenty of buggies i can get in the boot and I have not had any trouble with car seats either. If you go any smaller than that you will find your choices of baby equipment more restricted. Definitely get 5 door if you can. There is no advantage in having the tiniest car, I can't see why it would make you feel more confident. A nice sized hatchback like a polo or a corsa or a fiesta is perfect.

MrsWombat Wed 02-Apr-14 13:56:58

It wil depend on how you use your car with baby and the pram.

We had a tiny fiat seiscento and a massive silver cross sleepover.

If I was popping out to see friends I would just take baby and sling.

If going shopping I would take just the chassis and car seat which fitted on to of chassis. The chassis just about squeezed in to the boot, and the car sear in the passenger seat. The shopping would go in the foot well. At the supermarket I would use a sling or car seat trolley.

If going out for the day then I'd put the cot part of the pram on one of the passenger seats, and the chassis in the boot.

We managed and will do similar this time. However we've upgraded slightly to a 5 door vauxhall corsa.

clairealfie Wed 02-Apr-14 15:16:35

It depends on your budget but yes the bugaboo bee is compact so would fit in most boots. I would buy the car first then the pram as I wouldn't want the extra stress of taking the pram to car viewings. However, if you want/need to get the pram first just get a more compact one once you've been to a few shops to compare you will get a feel for which are better than others in that respect.

Mrsantithetic Wed 02-Apr-14 16:11:44

Yes definitely buy the car first.
I hear you re: confidence but really a very small car is no different to a big car. What about middle ground ford focus size?

The other thing to consider is the car seat. My first stage car seat would only fit in my yaris if the passenger seat was as far forward as it would go resulting in that seat being useless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now