Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really itchy skin?

(9 Posts)
chelly77 Wed 02-Apr-14 06:09:50

Hi guys,
Over the last week my skin has got really itchy, usually hands and boobs - which can make having a good scratch on the train into work interesting - any good recommendations to ease the itch?

I apply moisturizer each day and have even tried E45 anti itch

OddFodd Wed 02-Apr-14 06:14:25

If your hands are itching, go and see your GP. It can be (although not usually) a sign of a pregnancy complication so they may want to do a blood test to rule it out. I don't wish to be alarmist but better to be safe and all that.

This won't help you on the train but I found putting a cloth in the freezer and then draping over the itching part was soothing. And scratching my skin with a baby brush rather than my nails (I did end up making myself bleed though!)

It only lasted a few weeks so hopefully yours will too

chelly77 Wed 02-Apr-14 06:29:22

Fingers crossed it nothing, but thanks for the heads up - just did the worst thing ever and googled itchy skin and pregnancy - what a mistake to make!!

OddFodd Wed 02-Apr-14 07:13:12

Oh shit sorry - half asleep. I meant to say whatever you do, don't google! but you don't know me from adam so you probably would have done anyway.

My GP called me on my mobile because my results were worryingly high but then they dropped again. So don't panic

Suzietwo Wed 02-Apr-14 08:51:35

how far along are you? it could be swelling/stretching if later on (soz) or preggo hormones if earlier. you may also be more allergic to stuff. i control with antihistimines but mumsnet posters tell me thats a VERY BAD THING indeed. Dr says its fine, howevr.

SellyMevs Wed 02-Apr-14 09:09:12

Hi OP,

How many weeks are you? There is a liver condition that can develop in pregnancy called obstetric cholestasis.

I started itching about 17wks. I swear that I didn't have a single part of my body that didn't itch. Including my eyelids!! Midwives weren't too concerned but my GP referred me.for a liver function test anyway. Mine were absolutely fine, the itching I have is likely to be related to my hormones. GP prescribed Phenergan which is a anti-histamine. Has worked bloody wonders!!! I also use Aveeno moisturiser. Natural moisturisers without chemicals are perfect for itchy skin. Don't let your skin get dry because it'll make it worse. I was told not to use specific itch relief creams either.

The cholestasis only tends to be in the later stages of pregnancy and not before the 3rd trimester. The obstetrician was surprised my GP had even considered doing blood tests! It's worth mentioning it mainly because if you are itching that much it is really uncomfortable. My colleagues were just as relieved that the medication worked because my permanent itching was making them itch too! Hope you get some relief soon x

NestingNesting123 Wed 02-Apr-14 10:17:20

I tested borderline for cholestasis at one point when I had severe itching but the blood results and the itching settled down, so don't panic - there must be other things that can cause this. If the itching keeps you awake I found it useful to fill hot water bottles with iced water and stick my hands inside the hot water bottle cover to keep them on like giant cold mitts. A frozen ice pack like you'd use in a cool bag might help on your train journeys.

Scratching can make the itching worse (says she who used a fork to scratch), gently pressing on it or sweeping the flats of your hands over can give a more gentle relief.

Sammi1986 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:13:42

I tested negative for OC the first time, positive the second, negative the 3rd and waiting for a 4th next week! Don't panic or listen to Dr Google, it can be easily controlled and is closely monitored. However in some women their skin just gets super sensitive.
I have to say though that with me (and is common in oc) ice cold makes it worse. When my hands are bad I sit with them in Luke warm water. The only time I don't itch is when I am just stood in the shower!

chelly77 Thu 03-Apr-14 04:13:40

HI Guys,

Im 16 almost 17 weeks gone with Twins and fingers crossed today not itching!!
I've mad an appt with my doctor tomorrow to get things checked over though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now