Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Being shaken during early pregnancy - am I just being over cautious!?

(13 Posts)
LookAtMeImJennyDee Tue 01-Apr-14 17:05:06

Hi all,

I've been frequenting the forums quite a lot as am a very anxious person naturally and worry I'll do things wrong.

I found out a few weeks ago I was pregnant - would now be about 7 & a half weeks so still very early. Have come back to stay with my family for a while just to relax and take my mind off things but I have a teenage brother who is naturally quite boisterous and rough. About two or three times now he's shaken me by the shoulders and its made me incredibly nervous that he could have loosened something? Earlier today I was sitting on the edge of the bath (obviously full clothed!) and he pretended as tho he was going to push me back into it by grabbing my shoulders and that obviously shocked me. I've now told him whats going on and he's incredibly apologetic for worrying me and has said he won't do it anymore.

Obviously he means no harm by any of this but its just panicked me that perhaps something could have come loose from being jolted. Its not like hes shaking me enough for my head to be snapping back and forth just shaking me by my shoulders. Sorry if this all sounds dramatic -am waiting for a scan on Saturday to see if there is a heartbeat (unrelated to the shaking, the scan has been booked in for two weeks as had issues early on) and if my pregnancy is viable so obviously am very nervous at moment and everything has me on edge!

Please tell me I'm being silly.

Thank you in advance.

Kelly1814 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:09:36

You are being silly smile

Perfectly natural to worry though, but try not to, it's all very snug in there right now! I was hit by a car when 15 weeks pregnant, was terrified but perfectly ok.

HectorVector Tue 01-Apr-14 17:10:13

Firstly your teenage brother should not be shaking you. Secondly shaking you by the shoulders will not loosen anything. The baby won't be hurt by this. But he needs to stop. If you're this anxious now perhaps you should see your GP regarding you anxiety. IME anxiety gets worse once the baby is born.

Innogen Tue 01-Apr-14 17:10:37

Very silly! You are fine!

I shagged all the way through my pregnancy. Way more shaking there!

You're actually pretty sturdy, don't worry!

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 01-Apr-14 17:11:16

You aren't silly, just concerned.

But you're ok.Ok?

ecuse Tue 01-Apr-14 17:15:50

Really, don't worry, you're fine smile

squizita Tue 01-Apr-14 17:16:55

It won't hurt the baby.

But your teenage brother sounds too rough for his own good. If he is big enough to push around another adult of either gender he is too big to do that 'for fun' without their express consent - for all sorts of reasons, his safety as well as others. Someone needs to have a chat with him.

Does he know you're pregnant? If so, even worse. Simply as you will be feeling ill and shaky. Seriously get your mum to have a word.

LookAtMeImJennyDee Tue 01-Apr-14 17:19:24

Hi guys - thanks all for replying, really put my mind at rest! I'm thinking I'm over anxious as have been waiting almost two weeks to have a scan to find out if my pregnancy is viable and its driving me slowly mad.

BingoWingsBeGone Tue 01-Apr-14 17:20:50

I went on a 'tame' kids roller coaster with my 2yr old when I was a few weeks pregnant. Except it wasn't quite so tame. Very very shaken about and slammed into things and dd2 all fine - please don't worry about a shake on the shoulders. Albeit DBro shouldn't really be doing that....

lyns31 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:45:59

I didn't know I was pregnant until 10 weeks so was trampolining and all sorts. She's hung in there till what will be 22 weeks tomorrow smile

I think they stick if they're going to unless there's a real accident or the pregnancy has other issues. I wouldn't advise taking any risks that can be avoided though.

Congratulations and good luck with your pregnancy x

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 01-Apr-14 18:36:51

You are being silly smile

If pregnancies were dislodged that easily, no one would ever have a baby. It really doesn't work like that or we'd all be on bed rest whilst TTC.

But I agree, your brother does sound rather rough generally. Can you ask him to stop this, or do you normally enjoy the 'rough and tumble' type stuff?

Jolleigh Wed 02-Apr-14 01:13:32

grin you won't shake the baby loose OP (coming from a 41 weeks pregnant lady who's enjoyed frequent rampant shagging)

Bankholidaybaby Wed 02-Apr-14 02:43:07

The baby is so deep inside you, so well cushioned and protected at this stage in pregnancy that it is hugely unlikely to be harmed by you being jiggled a bit.

Tell your brother it's ok to cuddle you, as I suspect that's what he's really after when he's boisterous with you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: