Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help SPD

(4 Posts)
Blamenargles Tue 01-Apr-14 16:21:05

I'm 23 weeks and I have SPD the pain is getting worse everyday.
Is there anything I can do to help?
I have a 3yr DS my job consists for standing up all shift and walking around which doesn't help.

My left hip is worse at the end of the day I can hardly walk and it's painful to sit down never mind stand up.

The midwife is referring me for physio but not sure how long it will take.

Don't want to take pain killers is there anything I can do at all confused

Fairypants Tue 01-Apr-14 19:57:53

I had SPD with both previous children and have had it since 15 weeks with dc3. There are lots of things that you can do to minimise the pain but the best thing I have found was a visit to the osteopath. It is expensive (£40 here) but she actually managed to stop it hurting completely for a week and then it only started hurting a bit at a time. Some physios will also treat it but ime most will just give you advice on sleeping with a pillow, getting in and out of the car and give you crutches.
It may also be worth trying a belt. I was recommended to get he nexcare one (they have them at mothercare). I found it helps but not everyone gets on with them so can be a waste of money.

McBaby Tue 01-Apr-14 20:11:08

I second finding a good osteopath. First pregnancy I didn't and was signed off work from 26 weeks as I was immobile till the end of my pregnancy. I went to Physio wore the belt and had acupuncture with no real relief.

This time I had twinges from v early so tired to protect it as much as possible as I wanted to stay mobile as I look after my dd full time. I managed to keep it at bay till 28 weeks then had two osteopath treatments and now 36 weeks and have been pain free for six weeks. I still try to do as little as possible but I can walk and go out with dd everyday and look after her.

Blamenargles Tue 01-Apr-14 21:27:45

Thank you looks like a osteopath then.
Really don't want to be signed off work, but don't have an option to sit down even using crutches at work wouldn't be a option etherconfused

I also feel bad that I limited with what I can do with DS already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now