Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long will it leak for?

(17 Posts)
K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 15:24:26

my waters broke this morning but just wondering how long I can leak them for?

teasleromani123 Tue 01-Apr-14 15:59:30

my waters broke at 15weeks pregnant and I leaked for about 3 hours. but it was only trickling, (felt like I wet my self ) smile
hth.xx Emma

rachyconks Tue 01-Apr-14 16:13:50

Mine leaked more or less up until I was delivering. There was so much liquid! Have you had a show or anything yet? They admitted me after as my cervix was very posterior and still 2cm so they thought I would need to be induced. I had four sweeps over a 10 hour period and that got things moving so avoided the induction.

I'm due today and hoping & praying my waters will break- had a sweep yesterday and cervix very posterior and 2cm long so not holding out much hope :-(

Good luck - plenty of towels and pads, go for a walk if you can (though I found when DD moved it was agony as there were no waters cushioning the movement), bounce on ball etc.

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 16:19:16

No I haven't had a show which is what I was expecting confused I've been to the hospital and they've sent me home until things progress and if they don't then tomorrow i'm being induced.

I feel absolutely exhausted, and my pgp is agony sad I've got a lot of pressure deep in my pelvis, and what feels like period like cramps

rachyconks Tue 01-Apr-14 16:42:05

Did they examine you at the hospital? Maybe call them and ask if they would be willing to offer a sweep? I know it's not procedure in every hospital.

Inglori0us Tue 01-Apr-14 17:32:50

With my dd they had a strict 24 hours policy for induction as there's an increased risk of infection. My waters broke Friday night and my dd was finally born Sunday lunchtime. Fluid came out most of the time until the birth but got less and less.
Good luck! You're on the home straight now! smile

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 18:36:45

Yeah they've examined me, popped a speculum in and had a look with a torch. They don't do sweeps once your waters have broken in our trust, as they don't want to cause infection, so feel that would be unnecessary intervention.

well 2 hours ago I was still leaking, have tried bouncing on my ball but I can't get comfy and feel so tired. is it bad that all I want to do is sit and chill on the sofa?

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 01-Apr-14 18:38:02

No, it isn't. Find a comfy position and chill for a bit. You'll need that energy soon enough. smile

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 19:23:56

That's what I keep telling myself grin shan't be late in bed tonight, have to be up at the labour ward for 8 if nothing happens between now and then.

Also been losing some blood in my water confused apparently it's normal?

PretzelPrincess Tue 01-Apr-14 19:35:42

Mine broke on Sunday and leaked constantly till I was induced on Thudsday

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 19:39:22

4 days?! How come they left you so long? The risk of infection increases too confused

chestnutmare Tue 01-Apr-14 19:54:39

At my antenatal class today the midwife said they'll leave you up to 96 hours after your waters break, it's apparently fine (assuming you and the baby are ok)

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 19:55:36

I think it differs from trust to trust

LittleMachine Tue 01-Apr-14 19:57:36

Ahh I was just about to PM you to see if you had a baby yet!

Clearly you will very soon. Good luck. smile

GoooRooo Tue 01-Apr-14 22:26:04

Mine went on a Monday morning, no contractions. Was induced Tuesday morning and gave birth Wednesday night. I leaked constantly and had to send DH off to buy more pads - he said the teenage lad in the shop he went to looked like he wanted the earth to open up and swallow him when he started asking about absorbancy :D

I'm sure the midwives said something about the waters refilling constantly until delivery - although they do worry about the baby going dry and infection.

K8eee Tue 01-Apr-14 22:41:40

Oh right confused I didn't know they can replenish themselves. Well 16 nearly 17 hours on and I'm still losing them blush just had a warm bath, got myself comfy in bed and the whoosh! I e taken to using a night time thin always pad too it seems to draw the moisture away better confused

PretzelPrincess Wed 02-Apr-14 10:59:06

Mine broke early so I was monitored for infection untill they gave me steroid injections and the baby a little more time.
The fluid is made by the baby's kidneys and is made consistently. Also it's more important untill 32 weeks when the babies lungs are developing. After that it's not 'critical' and losing the fluid won't necessarily have a negative effect on you or baby. Apart from increased risk of infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now