Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eggs in Pregnancy (Chicken, not Human)

(3 Posts)
WhatsTheWordHummingbird Tue 01-Apr-14 10:59:10

I love my fried eggs sunny side up but have had conflicting advice from MWs.

(1) avoid. Eat them well cooked
(2) fine as long as they are lion stamped

What do I do?

ruth1104 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:05:37

I am also a lover of the runny yolk, and had serious cravings for it so I did some research. Lion stamped means they're vaccinated against salmonella (not quite the same as salmonella free, but a minute chance - I think less than 1%) and the risk of salmonella is not that you could pass it to your baby, but it could make you so ill that if you were to become dehydrated and have a fever that could harm your baby. Personally I decided I needed the protein (I'm veggie, and all I wanted to eat for ages was eggs and baked beans), and the risk is very very small so I eat runny eggs at home.

I wouldn't eat them out because apparently a lot of caterers use imported eggs, which aren't vaccinated and are a lot more likely to have salmonella. I think you have to make up your own mind!

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Tue 01-Apr-14 11:12:34

Ooh bugget have started two threads.

Thanks! Will continue to eat the lion stamped ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now