Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eggs in Pregnancy (Chicken, not Human)

(13 Posts)
WhatsTheWordHummingbird Tue 01-Apr-14 10:56:43

I love my fried eggs sunny side up but have had conflicting advice from MWs.

(1) avoid. Eat them well cooked
(2) fine as long as they are lion stamped

What do I do?

greentshirt Tue 01-Apr-14 10:59:33

I have been having them runny as long as they are lion stamped. Have pretty much avoided any other types

Fluffybastardcloudkittens Tue 01-Apr-14 11:07:07

As with all advice when you're pregnant (and in life?) you have to do the research, weigh up the risk and decide for yourself.
I personally LOVE a runny egg and have continued to eat them occasionally throughout my pregnancy (38 weeks now). I believe that they suggest that you have them fully cooked to eliminate salmonella, however lion stamped eggs are from chickens who have been vaccinated against salmonella so I feel that it's safe to say that the risk is extremely low to none. I know that your immune system is lowered when you're pregnant but I've never got ill from runny eggs before or during pregnancy. However, if you are quite anxious about your pregnancy perhaps it would be better to just avoid runny eggs altogether for peace of mind.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Tue 01-Apr-14 11:13:28

Thanks. Didnt realise til now id started two threads.

I will continue to eat them runny then (once a week max).

mandbaby Tue 01-Apr-14 12:04:30

I always thought they had to be completely cooked (not runny) and with my first pregnancy, I only ate them if they were completely cooked. However, with DS2 I just couldn't resist a runny egg with by bacon sarnie and so had the odd one. With my current pregnancy (DC3) I've had several runny eggs.

The government and "experts" are forever changing their mind about what's healthy - crikey, only today they've now said that 5 fruit and veg a day isn't enough! I say listen to your body and have what you fancy. Decades and centuries ago, there was no "advice" like today and humankind didn't get wiped out!

Elastigrrrl Tue 01-Apr-14 13:33:39

Yes, another vote for lion-stamped runny eggs smile No evidence-based reason to avoid them.

eurochick Tue 01-Apr-14 14:52:47

I've assessed the risk and decided that I am comfortable with having runny eggs if lion marked.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 01-Apr-14 14:59:41

I don't think the salmonella risk from lion stamped eggs is zero, but I think it is very, very low. I keep inadvertently buying eggs that aren't lion stamped though, humbug.

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 01-Apr-14 15:07:26

The advice on eggs is basically old and hasn't been updated since salmonella was big news. This article makes interesting reading about just how much cases have dropped from their peak following the vaccination programme.

Basically, lion marked UK eggs, salmonella risk very, very low (and certainly a lot lower than many things which aren't officially outlawed, like less-than-salubrious chicken kebabs!!). Other eggs- best to cook through.

LightTripper Tue 01-Apr-14 22:55:37

Isn't the risk now listeria rather than salmonella? Very rare but v nasty, so just another one of the dozens of horrible judgement calls you have to make every time you get in a car, cross the road, drink coffee, etc etc. personally I have been mainly doing well scrambled or hard boiled, but not sure I have managed to avoid runny yolks completely completely.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 02-Apr-14 08:34:33

Not particularly as far as I know. Listeria bacteria is mostly a risk in pre-prepared food.

In fact, listeria is one of those things that is horribly nasty, but also very rare and sources are very widely spread. Even if you avoid everything on the NHS 'bannned' list you don't reduce your (already very low) chances of listeriosis by very much. You can reduce it a lot more by being careful about where you get your food and how it has been cooked and stored.

Personally I don't feel it is a horrible judgement call to get in a car, cross a road or drink coffee though. That is me, being an adult woman and living my life. Not being a walking incubator. I know others feel differently, but I very much personally reject the idea that I should live my life in a state of constant worry.

squizita Wed 02-Apr-14 11:03:45

What Penguin says! smile

I can't face eggs at the moment due to constipation so a moot point for me anyway.

alita7 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:11:56

I can eat hardish eggs but certainly couldn't stomach a runny egg at the moment :P

Don't worry too much I realised while making my Dad a birthday cake that I shouldn't be taste testing... but I'd already done it and they were kings eggs so I'm not concerned smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now