Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes - Advice

(12 Posts)
ameliajn Tue 01-Apr-14 08:53:48

Hi all - am new to this website but just wanted to ask if anyone had gestational diabetes in their first pregnancy (I did) and is now pregnant again? I am only 14 weeks but don't know what I should be doing or whether I should start the awful diet already? Am not having my full GTT until 25 weeks.... any advice appreciated. I did ask the midwife at my booking appt but she said just wait until the full GTT but am scared my baby will get big again early like last time!

Slipshodsibyl Tue 01-Apr-14 08:56:16

You should start it now. (Or at least cut out sugar/refined carbohydrates)

vroomvroommum Tue 01-Apr-14 09:04:20

If I were you I'd be cutting out all the obvious sugars! Cakes, chocs, biscuits, jams, etc. and anything that's mainly carbs, Pizza, most pasta dishes, biryani, risotto, chow mein, etc but if the carb is less than a third I'd still be eating at this point. So still following but not so strictly as if and when you get the diagnosis. In fact reading this back it's advice I should follow and I'm not pregnant wink

Congrats on number 2!!

TarkaTheOtter Tue 01-Apr-14 09:07:23

Can you ask for an earlier GTT? In my area they test at 16 weeks if you have had it in a previous pregnancy.

ameliajn Tue 01-Apr-14 09:19:23

Thanks all - I know I should probably be more sensible than I am being but is so hard not to eat carbs when you feel nauseous! Will speak to the midwife again at 16 weeks and will ask if they will test sooner. Can't bear the thought of that diet for the next 6 months!

TarkaTheOtter Tue 01-Apr-14 09:22:59

Not sure if you'll find this reassuring or not but if you did have it this early you'd probably need insulin and then you don't have to be so strict.

sisterofcaleb Tue 01-Apr-14 13:00:56

Do u still have your glucose monitor from last time? I just got the GP to prescribe me new lancets and test strips for it and tested myself from abt 10 weeks. I did cut out sugar pretty much at that point but I found I could be much more free with carbs than I might have thought... Risotto, biryani, pasta etc all ok in moderation. I check fasting and after new meals or things I haven't had for a while. 29 weeks now and apart from a few slip ups still within the targets. Just an idea as it might put ur mind at rest and avoid being too strict if u don't need to be so early on?

hubbahubster Tue 01-Apr-14 13:06:20

I'm 31 weeks with DC2 and had GD (very borderline) with DC1. In my area they do a full GTT every four weeks from 16 weeks if you've had GD in a previous pregnancy, so I'd definitely be asking questions about better monitoring.

As it happens, I've opted to self-monitor with my glucose monitor four times a day rather than take the GTT every four weeks, as my reading were (and are again) all within limits with DC1 and I didn't need to take any additional medication. My GP has been happy to prescribe strips and lancets for me and my midwife has also been OK with my decision.

ameliajn Tue 01-Apr-14 13:59:37

Yes I do still have glucose monitor - that is a good idea actually then can hopefully relax a bit. What were your limits set at? I can't remember what mine were - I think it was under 5.5 fasting and under 8 after meals?

sisterofcaleb Tue 01-Apr-14 14:16:58

My targets were under 5.5 fasting and under 7.8 one hour after meals. Hope you are pleasantly surprised OP! smile

hubbahubster Tue 01-Apr-14 15:15:03

What sister said – I'd forgotten too but handily I'd printed out something from a website and put it in the case with the monitor!

hubbahubster Tue 01-Apr-14 15:17:07

Oh, re: carbs – soya and linseed bread is your friend smile also wholegrain rice seems to be fine for me, oddly white pasta also OK although white rice really isn't. It's all trial and error.

BTW I get good readings after breakfast when I have two waffles, half a banana and some maple syrup… go figure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now