Talk

Advanced search

20 week scan coming up and all I can do is worry.

(13 Posts)
VJONES1985 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:35:00

I know it will be hard for people to offer much comfort but just wanted to get a load off my mind. I'm 20 weeks pg and have my anomaly scan next week. As soon as I found out that the scan can pick up serious problems, I've been more worried than excited. My mum gets annoyed with my negativity but I can't help it - it all seems too good to be true, I think. Have felt the baby moving loads and been listening to its heartbeat so I hope it's healthy. I feel weird for worrying about this.

MissSlackPants84 Mon 31-Mar-14 22:13:32

Its completely normal. I dont think there is a woman on here that hasn't worried herself half to death in the lead up to the anomaly scan.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about smile

VJONES1985 Mon 31-Mar-14 22:14:40

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one!

lyns31 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:14:20

I was so nervous, though I didn't know mine would be the anomaly scan! Thought I was earlier so I just thought there would be nothing there (had done a pregnancy test to check again the day before). First shot was of an open hand lol... Was a bit of a shock to find out I'm having a girl.

Try not to worry. It doesn't help anything, but it is completely understandable and rational. I worry every appointment/test/day baby kicks less but I'm not a good example.

GingerRodgers Tue 01-Apr-14 06:31:15

I'd be more worried if you wern't bothered and just looking forward to finding out the gender.

Totally normal, this is your longed for baby and the most precious thing to you. You want to protect it.

Distraction is key. Try not to focus on the scan. What can you do to keep busy? Just think, whatever you do you can not change what will happen next week. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry as ten you won't enjoy any of it.

That said, you're right to be taking it so seriously, that's what the scans for.

Good luck thanks

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Tue 01-Apr-14 06:35:52

It is normal to worry. I worried and I'd already had an amnio! My mum was less worried and told the man what a nice job he had I had to remind her that it wasn't always good news.

The chances are it will be fine, and hopefully some lovely pics.

Don't worry until you have something to worry about!

supermum83 Tue 01-Apr-14 08:23:13

My 20 week scan is tomorrow and I am way more nervous than I was with my first, almost irrationally so. I guess I "know" to worry about so many more things now... Good luck!!

LaVolcan Tue 01-Apr-14 09:32:20

What would you do with the information if you found there was a problem?

If an anomaly was found for which a termination would be offered, but you wouldn't be prepared to accept this, one option would be to turn the scan down.

They are 'offered' not 'compulsory'.

VJONES1985 Tue 01-Apr-14 10:24:34

LaVolcan - I honestly have absolutely no idea. I guess it would depend on a number of different things and I know that as awful as it would be, if there was bad news I would rather know about it than not.

squizita Tue 01-Apr-14 11:01:54

The thing is anomalies vary in severity: so 'what you would do' can be a moot point.
No-one would terminate (I hope) for a minor physical disability such as a mis-shapen hand (at one end of the scale).
At the other, sometimes (very rarely I hasten to add) the anomaly is sadly so fatal that termination is also not a choice of if but when/natural-or-operation. sad

OP - both these scenarios and everything inbetween are RARE. Very rare. But nerves are natural.

22honey Tue 01-Apr-14 11:42:30

I have been exactly the same way throughout the pregnancy, particularly in the last few days as my 20 week scan was coming up. Absoloutely terrified something would be wrong and I'm sure I felt like this due to a previous loss...I had my scan today and it was nervewracking (though not as nervewracking as I imagined..last night was worse!) but everything was ok..I have a posterior placenta but apparently its normal and not anything to worry about, I'm also having a little girl so it couldn't have gone better and I'm sure exactly the same will happen for you too.

Nothing anyone says can really reassure you before the scan, I think because we are very aware that they are checking for anomalies (many people particularly those who don't read forums and havn't had or known anyone who has any previous losses live in relative ignorance about the fact something could be wrong at this point) it makes us worry a lot more that something could be wrong, but please be assured its very very very unlikely anything will be amiss with your baby.

Just know you arn't alone in your worries, never did I imagine when younger pregnancy would be so worrying but it is likely all is fine and youll have a great scan. You have something like a 99.5% chance of it all being ok!

Xxxx

alita7 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:54:34

The second you get a bfp to the day you die you will be worrying about dc. Try to remember that seriously abnormalities at 20 weeks are rare as most of the time they don't make it that far, you will be probably just be told it's all fine and what the gender is. I had a mmc last time so I'm currently in the agonising wait for my 12 week scan both desperate to get to it and terrified of it but I'm sure I'll be the same if all goes well and I'm waiting for a 20 week scan!

SellyMevs Tue 01-Apr-14 16:26:53

I had my 20wk scan earlier this morning.. I was terrified. I've got countless medical problems including a heart issue, and my mum has spina bifida occulta. I was so convinced that there was no way I'd grow a healthy baby because everyone likes to remind me how much of a high risk I am.

Fortunately it's only me that there is a risk with, and today I saw a very healthy, perfectly formed baby boy wriggling around.

I don't think the worry will go away, but I am pleased i've made it this far - half way through now!! Good luck with your scan, hope it goes well for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now