Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hats for newborns?

(11 Posts)
moomin35 Mon 31-Mar-14 20:09:41

Do I need to buy a hat for a baby being born in May? I get them for babies born in the autumn and winter months but not sure its really necessary for a May/June baby? Any advice appreciated :-)

Onlymydogunderstandsme Mon 31-Mar-14 20:31:35

My ds was born in June and he wore a little cotton hat home from hospital as it wasn't particularly warm that day. Might be worth having one just in case it's not very warm, as sometimes our summers can be a tad chilly!

HandragsNGladbags Mon 31-Mar-14 20:33:23

Both my summer borns have worn them, midwives put them on in the hospital.

DC 3 due in three weeks and will also be wearing a granny knitted hat smile

MrsRV Mon 31-Mar-14 20:35:24

same dilemma here. I have one I'm going to take, just a little cotton one. probably only need it coming home & odd trips out after that. DD1 was born 2 years ago mid march & it was really warm. we put the little cotton hat on her a couple of times. buy a couple & midwives at hosp will be able to tell u the dsy u leave. didn't need hats normally though, just during the day n stuff as mat wards are really warm anyway.

qazxc Mon 31-Mar-14 20:36:15

I'm due in June and have couple of cotton hats.
I assume I'll need them for when i take the baby outside.

CityDweller Mon 31-Mar-14 21:33:01

You can pick up a couple of cotton ones cheaply and they're worth having just in case and for the ridiculously cute photo op Or Polarn O Pyret do a really awesome stripy cotton cap that comes down over the ears. DD lived in hers when she was newborn as it was a chilly April and it stayed on her head, as it is actually head-shaped (unlike a lot of cotton baby hats). here

Artandco Mon 31-Mar-14 21:44:33

Yes. Mine wear hats all year around. In the uk it's either freezing ( wooly hat), warmish but windy ( cotton hat), or sunny ( sun hat )

notso Mon 31-Mar-14 21:51:28

The only one of mine to wear a hat was DS2 who was born in a snowy December.
The midwives told Mums off on the ward for putting hats on the babies indoors.
All the others had baby wraps with hoods for outdoors, in that and a pram there was no need for a hat.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 31-Mar-14 21:55:58

Mine were April and June babies. I was told hats for the first 24 hours for DD2 (homebirth so much cooler than sweltering ward!) and hats outside in the early days.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Mon 31-Mar-14 22:05:54

I have a may baby who wore hats when out and about

Coveredinweetabix Mon 31-Mar-14 22:10:48

DC2 was a May baby and the MW asked for both that & scratch mitts when we gave her the babygro. I think he wore it for most of the first 24hrs but that was it. DC1 was a winter baby and I don't remember her wearing one in hospital but obviously had a woolly hat when we were out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now