Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Revamp of delivery rooms to encourage more 'active' births

(11 Posts)
SJH0604 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:06:25

The midwife has informed me that the hospital I'm due to give birth at (not for a while yet!) has had a big makeover. Beds are out and mats/balls are in. There is a chair in the room. The midwife said they prefer ladies to have more active births and so do not have beds in the room anymore. They are encouraging birth on all fours. As a first time expectant mum, I'm a little concerned. I'm up for anything that make the process quicker, but it also makes me a little uneasy that this is the only option they're allowing women. Perhaps a bed would be preferred for a rest rather than a bloody mat on the floor. What do you think?

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Mon 31-Mar-14 19:16:58

There will be beds, just not in the midwife led unit I would imagine, which makes sense, the mats are effectively mattresses though so it's much the same as a bed

Paintyfingers Mon 31-Mar-14 19:21:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littleturkish Mon 31-Mar-14 19:22:02

As long as you have a bed to sleep in afterwards, you'll be fine!

TheScience Mon 31-Mar-14 19:34:03

There will be beds in the CLU for women who have epidurals or constant monitoring.

To be honest once you are in advanced enough labour to go into hospital you won't be able to rest without a lot of pain relief - if you are able to lie in bed you're better off staying at home!

MissSlackPants84 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:40:36

I think its pretty standard in many hospitals/MLU. Why wouldn't you want to have an active labour where possible? Providing all goes smooth I will do everything I can to help baby out. I'm excited I have the opportunity to use the facilities in the MLU! I'm a first time Mum too smile

squizita Mon 31-Mar-14 19:57:14

They will have to have places to lie down - not all women can walk and bounce on balls for example(spd or disability) not to mention it would be required for epidurals or some interventions/monitoring for higher risk births.

I very much doubt they've binned all, just given facilities that used to be first-come-first-served in all rooms.

squizita Mon 31-Mar-14 19:57:19

They will have to have places to lie down - not all women can walk and bounce on balls for example(spd or disability) not to mention it would be required for epidurals or some interventions/monitoring for higher risk births.

I very much doubt they've binned all, just given facilities that used to be first-come-first-served in all rooms.

squizita Mon 31-Mar-14 19:57:29

eurochick Mon 31-Mar-14 21:13:27

It sounds good to me. smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 31-Mar-14 21:46:33

As others have said, it won't be all rooms. It will be the low risk/MLU rooms. If you need an epidural or whatever you'll be on a normal hospital bed.

I also agree that, whilst you might spend some or all of your labour reclining, etc, you are very unlikely to be 'lying on a bed for a rest' if you are sufficiently in active labour to be admitted. And hospital beds aren't nice to lie on anyway really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now