Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What happens if you move out of GP catchment while pg?

(12 Posts)
zirca Mon 31-Mar-14 14:00:20

Do you get to keep your midwife etc or do you have to register with new GP and MW? Looking at houses (need more bedrooms before DC2 arrives) and wondering!

MirandaWest Mon 31-Mar-14 14:01:58

I moved 5 miles away and had to register with new GP. I did also move counties though so that might have made a difference.

peeapod Mon 31-Mar-14 16:57:29

you need to ask your gp this one because each practice will have its own catchment and policy about continuation of care

LondonJen Mon 31-Mar-14 17:04:46

Where I am the community midwive team looks after quite a large area so if we moved somewhere bigger but still in the local area I would still see the same team of midwives even if I moved GP within those few miles. Prob depends where you live tho.

McBaby Mon 31-Mar-14 17:53:23

GPS have the discretion to keep you on as a patient even if you move out of catchment. I have stayed with my GP I have had had since birth despite moving 2.5 years ago.

zirca Mon 31-Mar-14 17:57:01

Thanks everyone smile. I'd like to stay this side of town, but can't guarantee I'd end up in the catchment of this particular GP surgery. It would be nice to stay with a MW I know throughout the pregnancy though, and move after the birth.

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 31-Mar-14 18:50:55

Your old gp will keep you on while you're pregnant and then decide one day when you're sitting up in bed with your tits out trying to feed a baby that's been awake screaming since 2am who's in their third babygro change since 7am who then decides to throw up all over the bedding that was fresh on the day before to THEN tell you... you have to collect, fill in and drop off the registration forms for the one closer to your house.

Just me?

CoolCat2014 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:58:55

I'm moving next month, and will have to change midwife team, but haven't asked yet GP, though I think I'll be ok as I'll still be within a couple miles (midwifes have split the town up by area).

Jenbee1 Mon 31-Mar-14 20:53:34

I asked my mw at booking in and although I am supposed to move gps as we've now moved I can request the same mw team and they won't process the move, I'll just have to go to my old surgery to see them

rightsaidfred Mon 31-Mar-14 20:56:50

I moved 1 street outside my GP catchment area during my first pregnancy and got chucked out of the practice. I appealed stating that I would never ask for a home visit and would always come to the surgery but still got a flat no :-(

missmagnum Mon 31-Mar-14 21:03:38

I moved quite far out of my gp catchment area (20 min drive) and wrote asking if I could stay with them, on the understanding no home visits by gp. I was accepted and continued visiting the midwife at that surgery too, community midwife was assigned that covered where I moved to.

HoneyBadgerPersonified Mon 31-Mar-14 21:30:35

My GP practise was happy to keep me on but the community midwives couldn't/ wouldn't sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now