Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 weeks and diarrhea

(13 Posts)
Hedgehead Sun 30-Mar-14 23:33:10

have terrible cramping and diarrhea last night and tonight. No blood at all. I assume the cramps are coming from stomach muscles/intestines rather than uterus? Feel sick too.

Is it normal to have diarrhea in early pregnancy?

PrincessWellington Mon 31-Mar-14 08:41:05

Have you started taking supplements recently? I reacted to pregnacare like this

Onlymydogunderstandsme Mon 31-Mar-14 08:44:00

I seemed to go between having an upset stomach to being constipated in the early weeks. In fact it started to happen before I tested so one of the reasons I was convinced I was pg as it happenned with DS too!

Hope it settles for you soon.

MorelloKiss Mon 31-Mar-14 08:47:15

I had this from week 5 lessening each week and gone by week 12. I also had morning sickness. I believe it is all part of the same hormone bump.

I tried switching and excluding supplements, but it didn't work for me, wasjust partof the ghastly first few weeks thing. Aside from that y pregnance was uneventful in a good way and 5 month old DD is sat on my lap rattling her toys right now.

Good luck

blamber Mon 31-Mar-14 08:57:31

I've had it too (I'm 6 weeks). I got cramps and was wondering if it was from the bowels or uterus. I then felt the pain shift and bubbling, so I knew it was my bowels... had frequent loose stools as well. It's all normal!

twiglet2 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:25:19

I'm currently 6 weeks and the same as blamber. I had an upset stomach for about 4 days during week 5, but now I seem to be constipated - lovely. I'm feeling pretty rotten all round as I have almost constant nausea but I'm not sick. Most food seems to turn my stomach, so really struggling to find anything to eat.

supermum83 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:39:01

I had it bad too at first. I am 20 weeks now. Stomach is still a mess but no more cramps at least. I found that artificial sweeteners and having cereal for breakfast made it worse.

JustDanni Mon 31-Mar-14 11:06:38

pregancy has done me no favours as I have IBS. its normal to have irregular bowel movements in pregnancy as the hormone changes effect digestion and how your guts behave.
I feel your pain.

alita7 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:51:28

I had this from around 4 weeks. And awful wind but the wind and the loose poo 5 times a day gradually petered out and now at 8 weeks my poo is still loose but not too bad and wind is less of a problem.

Hedgehead Mon 31-Mar-14 12:27:31

Thanks for your responses - that is really helpful. I thought there was nothing left inside me the night before last, and last night. What I think it might have been is that I have been chewing sugar-free peppermint chewing gum to stave off nausea. And it has the phenylalanine in it? I chew it ALL THE TIME, so my body is used to it, but I think at the moment it is extra-specially sensitive, so decided to have ALL the side effects listed on the packet.

TheWildOnes Mon 31-Mar-14 15:43:27

I had diarrhea the other night as well as sickness (both at the same time, was not a pretty site) im about 5 weeks too, been ok since then though.

CoolCat2014 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:02:42

I had it bad at around weeks 4-6, cleared up after a while. 18 weeks now

Lozmatoz Mon 31-Mar-14 20:50:57

I had the same for weeks. Am 15 weeks now and still have it on and off. Worked out that I'd become lactose intolerant. Gutted as I love milk but cutting it out has made a huge difference. Maybe try it for a day or 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now