Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave

(11 Posts)
Mmolly2013 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:42:40

At what stage will work want to discuss my maternity leave. I'm currently 19 weeks smile

smilesallround247 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:49:22

I'm not sure. I just wrote mine a letter saying when I would be taking my maternity leave and for how long.

Jolay100 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:55:17

Pretty sure it is your duty to inform them by 25 weeks....

clareyfarey Sun 30-Mar-14 20:09:58

I got my matb1 at my 24 week midwife appointment, then had the conversation with work after that. I had to give 28 days notice to start my mat leave

congrats on your pregnancy smile smile

dats Sun 30-Mar-14 20:13:00

Yes, 25 weeks - officially its before the end of the 15th week before delivery. Same diff.

You have to officially notify your employer that you want to take maternity leave, otherwise they don't have to grant your request.

theborrower Sun 30-Mar-14 20:29:25

Despite me telling my line managers really early on, I needed my MatB1 form to officially hand in my notice, and I didn't/couldn't get that until about 20 weeks. They also couldn't advertise for my mat cover until they'd received my form. But 15th week before EDD sounds right for the legal notice.

Mmolly2013 Sun 30-Mar-14 21:27:44

Ok that's great thank you all. Also was thinking of leaving a month before due date what do you's think.

theborrower Sun 30-Mar-14 21:34:40

Last time I finished up 4 weeks before and I'm doing the same again. My mum said it was the last time I'd be on my own/ have time to myself, and to enjoy it! It took me a good week to unwind from work then I enjoyed relaxing, reading books, cooking etc. I went into labour on my due date. This time around there is also the (slim) chance that baby might have to come early (I'm having growth scans) so again, I don't want to leave it too late.

I also knew a few people whose babies arrived early - I didn't want to be like them and finish work and have very little time before baby arrived!

Someone else on mumsnet once said you'll notice the time you have off before more than the extra week or two at the end of your leave (with the baby). I think that's probably true.

It's up to you though! But it is nice to have some time to unwind smile

supermum83 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:24:52

Your maternity policy will state for sure when you need to tell them by.

JustDanni Mon 31-Mar-14 11:08:37

let your boss or HR department know when you intend on taking it, once you have your matB1 form at around 21 weeks you can then officially book the time off.
Think about it now, worry about it when the paperwork is in your hand lol

JustDanni Mon 31-Mar-14 11:09:53

P.S im taking the full year so im leaving 8 weeks before my due date.
Havent had a smooth ride and I think I might struggle later on.
its all about personal preference as to when you leave xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now