Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newbie needs advice about pregnancy/weight

(7 Posts)
lillamyy1 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:11:57

Hoping someone can advise me...
We're planning to start ttc this month but I'm really worried about gaining weight. I've put on 2 stone in the last year and a half and was hoping to have shifted it by the time we started trying but to no avail.
I've wanted a baby for years and I'm so glad that DP is on board (at last!!) that I don't want to put it off, but at the same time if I get any bigger than I am now, I don't think I'll ever get back into shape.
I've tried dieting and I've joined a gym but am lacking the motivation to go more than once a week!

Is it possible to lose weight/avoid putting it on during pregnancy?

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 30-Mar-14 11:16:23

It really depends on your weight before you start. If you are clinically overweight or obese before pregnancy then you can expect, with healthy eating, to gain less than someone who is not.

But pregnancy really isn't the time to be actively dieting. You are better off trying to do something beforehand, or simply accepting that you might have quite a lot to lose after. smile

Cariad007 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:25:00

Pregnancy isn't a time for dieting but if weight gain is something you're worried about then start eating as healthily as you can now and maybe try classes at the gym if you need motivation. I find I get a much better workout if someone is pushing me!

I only put on 5 kilos, 3.8 of which was baby, but I was lucky enough to have a sickness-free pregnancy and was already pretty active, so it was easy to keep up with going to the gym.

FoodieMum3 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:25:16

Hi, I would really really encourage you to do your very best to lose weight before you TTC.

Don't think of it as 2 stone, maybe take it half a stone at a time.

You will improve your chances of conceiving a lot quicker when you're slimmer but also (and I am overweight myself) your pregnancy will possibly be treated as high risk if you're very overweight - you've a greater chance of developing problems with your blood pressure etc.

You can eat healthily and exercise throughout the pregnancy and aim not to put on too much weight (I think about a stone is recommended if your bmi is over 30)

Good luck.

ohthegoats Sun 30-Mar-14 12:37:53

I went to the doctors this time last year to talk about potentially being pregnant. Mostly I was concerned about a blood problem and my age, but I was/am also 2 stone overweight. I'm fit though, and hadn't really considered the weight the biggest issue for me personally.

Doctor basically told me to eat healthily, keep up the marathon training, keep up the yoga etc, but that for me my age was the biggest concern. She said you can always lose weight while pregnant, you can definitely lose it afterwards, but you won't be able to get time back.

If I were you I'd start eating healthily and exercising regularly (it's not just for you anymore!), and get on with ttc.

Cariad007 Sun 30-Mar-14 13:04:36

You could also try Slimming World. I know someone who lost about 6 stone with them. Once you do conceive then they have a programme that's safe for pregnancy.

lillamyy1 Sun 30-Mar-14 13:15:55

Thanks for the advice... might wait for three months or so and see if I can shift the weight in the meantime. Summer's better for walks/runs etc as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now