Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How swollen do swollen feet get?!

(15 Posts)
weebigmamma Sat 29-Mar-14 21:12:47

Feel like mine are about to burst and wondering if that's normal. I have been putting them up regularly and they do go down a bit but as soon as i get up they go back up again.

Supercalafraga Sat 29-Mar-14 21:30:56

watching with interest! mine are doing the same. They hurt.... and look horrific!
cabbage leaves have helped a bit - but not enough!

curlyLJ Sat 29-Mar-14 21:52:04

OMG I feel your pain and was just coming on here to write a post about it! How far along are you OP?

I am 37+3 and my feet have been getting progressively worse since about week 32 - at first they were going down if I put them up for a while, but now they are not doing that any more and they are so painful when i get up in the night for a wee, or first thing in the morning.

I find walking helps, but as soon as I am back home, they start to swell again. I only have 1 pair of shoes I can wear now which have split today sad so I don't know what I am going to do!

I don't think anything is going to help now until after the baby is born, but I have just read that it's likely to be worse in the first few days after the birth before it gets better, so have that to look forward to too!

Sweetpea86 Sat 29-Mar-14 22:11:28

I thought I'd got away with it until 36 weeks now I own a pair of trotters, my fingers have swelled to. Some days are worse than others.
My right foot seems to swell more. You know when your walking and you can feel the water like move after you've moved your foot. If that make sense.

Trinpy Sat 29-Mar-14 22:36:54

I have this. And cankles too. Pregnancy is sooo glamorous isn't it? grin

At least there's not too much longer to go now until it's all over...

morerummorefun Sun 30-Mar-14 02:59:20

I'm 30 weeks and starting to swell sad With my 1st the swelling got worse after dd was born the mw called it pitted odema as my lovely caring dh would press objects such as pound coins and clothes pegs into my huuuuuge feet and time how long it took for the impressions to fade! 20 fuvking minutes for the peg mught I add!
Sit with your feet up as much as possible and drink plenty of water it should help xxx

spinnergeologist Sun 30-Mar-14 03:29:25

Hi if you have exsesive swelling you need to go see to go see you gp or midwife. It can be a sign of preeclampsea (sorry don't think I spelt that right) so good tto get it checked over. I did have preec and mine got to a point where it was hard to walk far, my hands and face swelled towards the end to. Good news is it does go once bb is born. Don't be tempted not to drink plenty to avoid the retention. Good luck and sympathy, and I hope I haven't panicked anyone retention is normal and a pain in hhe bum.

weebigmamma Sun 30-Mar-14 08:54:50

Thanks all! yes, preeclampsia is a worry as I am on blood pressure tabs and I had it last time. However, BP is under control and no/trace protein in urine so I think swollen feet are probably just result of being 37wks + 4. I'm not sure the swelling is excessive because I can still walk and my hands and face are ok (face is fatter but that's because I've been eating midnight toast for the past few months lol) xxx

weebigmamma Sun 30-Mar-14 08:55:56

Feel like a hobbit. lol

TroubleAndFyfe Sun 30-Mar-14 09:24:29

The pressure maternity tights are amazing! They take about half an hour to get on as the damned things are so tight but they're really worth it. Reduced the swelling and stopped the pain for me. Also reduce the likelihood of you developing varicose veins as a result of the swelling.

hubbahubster Sun 30-Mar-14 09:52:28

I went from a size 5 to struggling to get into my mum's size 7s before DS was born... My feet have been permanently wider since, although I've gone back to a 5 (actually I was more a 4.5 before so they have stayed a bit bigger).

weebigmamma Sun 30-Mar-14 19:47:48

lol so glam indeed! I am thanking the lord for Crocs....!

dats Sun 30-Mar-14 20:17:14

Mine have only started getting trottery in the past few days and today I dug out my ULTRA GLAMOROUS flight socks (black knee-high beauties) and they have - unsurprisingly, I suppose! - helped a lot! I still have ankles and everything grin

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 30-Mar-14 20:59:36

Mine got impressively trotter like with ds at about 35 weeks, I have a photo when he is about a week old and you can see my foot in it and they were huge! went back to normal when he was 10 days old.
I will admit to wearing crocs for weeks before and after he was born as no shoes would fit. Also you don't have to bend down to take them on and off.
I was so happy the day my converse went back on. grin
Lucky it was summer.

weebigmamma Mon 31-Mar-14 04:00:42

Yes, Crocs in the rain are no fun lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now