Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whats normal and whats not? Also early scan

(24 Posts)
Cakehan Sat 29-Mar-14 19:02:12

Just wanted some advice really- still getting my head round all this so just wanted to know if what im feeling is normal!smile
I think im about 6 weeks- I THINK
I have been getting a few cramps and twinges in my stomach, sometimes just below my ribs. Its not overly painful, not painful at all really just uncomfortable however some are worse than others.
Ive also become hungry ALL the time- but have this horrible taste in my mouth which makes me not want to eat!
Also im ridiculously bloated! At first I was scared it was a bump!
Im just a natural worrier I think - but I think im going to book in for an early scan at a private clinic One does it near me for £59 and Im happy to pay that price for abit more piece of mind. Has anyone had an early scan privately and can you tell me if what im experiencing is normal?!
Thankyousmile

LittleRedDinosaur Sat 29-Mar-14 19:08:16

I'm about 8 weeks pregnant now with my second. What you are describing is normal as far as my experiences go. Congratulations!
I've not had an early scan. I'd be wary as if you're slightly wrong with your dates it could be too soon to see the heartbeat and you'll worry yourself sick

Armadale Sat 29-Mar-14 19:14:06

I think all your symptoms sound normal to me, congraulations!

It was a bit of a shock to me to realise you could be both off food (due to nausea or the horrid taste) and starving at the same time blush

I have had lots of early scans as I have a pretty shitty history with MC, and I would say if you aren't worried it is ectopic (no reason you should be from your post) I would book an early scan for 8 weeks rather than right now.

I know 2 weeks from now will seem a long time, but I have had ones at 6 weeks where there hasn't been much to see, and then had a really unpleasant two week wait to see if it was too early or if there was a problem.

In this pregnancy I had a scan bang on 6 weeks and they could see a heartbeat, which everyone was surprised at, but at my 12 week dating scan they decided I was actually 10 days further on than I thought, so at the 6 week scan I was really 7 weeks +3 days, so if I hadn't have been much further on than I realised, I probably wouldn't have seen a heartbeat and would have worried unnecessarily.

bugoven Sat 29-Mar-14 19:37:50

All those symptoms sound absolutely normal and very familiar.
I had a scan at about 6 1/2 weeks, could see an amniotic sac, yolk sack and fetal pole with heart beat. I now have a video I can treasure of my little one when they were less than a cm long. I then went back for another scan at 8 1/2 weeks when I could see a little wriggly jelly bean with paddles for arms and legs.
I have suffered with sever anxiety for a variety of reasons, pregnancy and non-pregnancy related. I think the money was absolutely worth it for the reassurance and the magical moment of bonding with my tiny baby. The scans allowed me to enjoy the pregnancy far more in between the worrying times.
Do mention your anxieties to your midwife. Mine has been quite practical but also very reassuring and has happily seen me more often that is strictly necessary for a pregnancy that has no risks whatsoever as far as she and every sane person (so not me) is concerned.
Good luck Xx

Ladymillion Sat 29-Mar-14 20:46:46

Cakehan I have booked an early scan too as I'm so worried about something being wrong, I am 7+4 and will be 8 weeks exactly (by my own calculations) on the day of the scan. I know the odds are in my favour in terms of a viable fetus but still... ! I'm quite a laid back person so these feelings are quite alien to me haha! I also think the price is well worth it to ease those pangs of anxiety... At least for a little while!

Cakehan Sat 29-Mar-14 21:05:54

My scan is booked for Friday 11th so I should be 8 weeks too ! My own calculations of course!
I know I can't understand why I'm so worried. I'm laid back and normally don't get worked up over stuff but i think this is all still new to me all I want is it to be okay!
I'm glad to know what I'm feeling isn't out of the ordinarysmile

Ladymillion Sun 30-Mar-14 09:59:51

What you're feeling is definitely not out of the ordinary, I know someone who went for a scan every month for reassurance! If the service is available and it helps you through it then I don't see the problem personally! wink

squizita Sun 30-Mar-14 11:55:25

...just a note, with a 6 week scan most women see a hb BUT you might not see a HB (if the embryo took a few extra days to implant) which can be scary, as they go 'oooh wait and see we don't know if all is well'. Then you get another scan a week later.

So... I would suggest maybe a scan at 7 weeks, much more likely to see the HB then.

OhGood Sun 30-Mar-14 11:57:04

Congratulations! Everything you describe are symptoms of pregnancy and completely normal.

VelvetStrider Sun 30-Mar-14 12:03:33

Have they told you what sort of scan you will be having? At 8 weeks they might be able to see something with an abdominal scan, but it will be much clearer with dildocam! Just so you don't get a nasty surprise if they ask you to drop your keks!!

7 weeks is about the time when a lot of important structural formation - brain, heart etc. happens, so if you see a foetus with a heartbeat after this stage, your chance of miscarrying is much lower.

Cakehan Sun 30-Mar-14 12:23:10

No they haven't told me which sort I suppose I should ring and ask! I'm hoping I'll defiantly be 8 weeks by the time of the scan and hopefully be able to see a heartbeat!
I also really want to tell my mum as it's only me and my partner that know ATM but want to hear a heartbeat first !

This pregnancy seems to be going so slow and it's only just started ! Does it speed up?!

cookielove Sun 30-Mar-14 12:36:24

I had a private scan booked in this pregnancy (due to a previous mmc) when I wad 7+4, it was an abdominal scan, it took and age to find the bean but I soon as it was there (he had to zoom in) you could see a clear little hb! It helped keep me going till the next 12 week scan!

Cakehan Sun 30-Mar-14 15:38:31

Thanks! I'm really hoping I'll be about 7-8 weeks at the scan so I'm hoping I just get some reassurance !
I just really want to tell my mum and we have agreed not to tell anyone till we know everything's ok!

So far though this pregnancy is going so slow. My private scan is 11th April and I think ill be insane before then! Please tell me it gets quicker !!

RebeccaCloud9 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:43:59

Sounds EXACTLY the same as my experience! I paid for an 8 week scan (waited until it was more likely to see/hear heartbeat) and it was 100% worth it just for peace of mind and something lovely to put in the memory box.

Cakehan Sun 30-Mar-14 19:59:50

So what did you see at your 8 week scan was it definitely worth it? They said if we don't see anything we get a free re scan in a week but I think that would be the worst wait! I have no idea why I'm even worrying no bleeding or anything I just desperately want it all to be ok!

VelvetStrider Mon 31-Mar-14 11:26:49

You'll see a round black blob with a smaller white blob pulsating inside it! The white blob may be sort of elongated or bean shaped. Amazing to think that in just 4 weeks it will develop from that into a recognisable baby!

Armadale Mon 31-Mar-14 13:52:45

At my 8 weeks I have seen either an elongated blob like a kidney bean with a pulsing heart or if it is developmentally a few days later, a blob with almost two distinct parts (like a filled in number 8) but with little buds sticking out which will become the legs and arms.

Ladymillion Tue 01-Apr-14 17:14:23

Hey guys, had my scan this morning, everything seemed fine, strong heartbeat and measuring exactly 8 weeks as I'd calculated. smile

Was a lovely experience and well worth the money! Seems more real now! I drank sooooo much water which helped to see the blob easier but was so uncomfortable as I was BURSTING for a wee haha! confused

Armadale Tue 01-Apr-14 17:53:31

That is brilliant, ladymillion x

lyns31 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:58:47

Congrats ladymillion. Good luck with the pregnancy xerox

lyns31 Tue 01-Apr-14 18:00:00

Stupid auto predict, was meant to be an x not "Xerox"

Ladymillion Tue 01-Apr-14 19:42:43

Thanks everyone! smile

Gennz Tue 01-Apr-14 20:07:02

Hi Ladymillion! Fab news about the scan. I still can't believe there is something growing inside me. I feel like a science experiment!

Ladymillion Tue 01-Apr-14 20:10:22

Thanks Gennz, it's a strange feeling isn't it?! How far gone are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now