Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 week midwife appt

(10 Posts)
Sweetpea86 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:37:37

Got my 38 week midwife appt next week, just wondered if it will be any different from previous, will midwife check to see if I have dilated or will that not happen till 40 weeks.

This is my first baby I assumed I would of had an internal already?

Clueless yes lol

Awakeagain Sat 29-Mar-14 18:43:27

Think mine was measure of bump, feel of baby, check wee, check blood pressure
No need for internal til later - mine was failed attempt at stretch and sweep, if you have no reason to think your dilated I can't see why she would examine you (and if you do think waters have leaked/you've had a show) you shouldn't wait for mw appointment you need to ring the hospital (we have mat assessment unit)
Unfortunately it could be 4 more weeks til your dilated!
Good luck

callamia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:44:04

I didn't have any internals until a sweep. I'm not sure there's much point before that. I don't think anything different happened at my 38wk.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 29-Mar-14 19:33:33

Normal appointment.

They don't do internals routinely - it increases infection risk and doesn't really achieve anything.

Sweetpea86 Sat 29-Mar-14 22:12:59

Thanks I wasn't sure when you read posts on other sites. Ladies say from 36 weeks. I think some were American so might be different there.

Trinpy Sat 29-Mar-14 22:44:55

Yeah I think they do tend to do regular checks for dilation and effacement in America. But it doesn't seem to have much bearing on when women will go into labour.

38 week app was pretty much like all the others, as pp have said. Mw did tell me about sweeps and induction if baby doesn't come by himself though.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 30-Mar-14 11:17:42

That's an American thing. They are weirdly obsessed with internals IMO! It goes hand in hand with the way they induce you far, far more readily too (particularly if you go 'over' - they start panicking basically the day you reach your due date).

Sweetpea86 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:31:39

Thanks very glad I won't be having an internal next week lol

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 30-Mar-14 11:50:47

Nope, nothing internal until labour (and even then you can say no ) unless you have a sweep.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 30-Mar-14 11:51:38

Sorry that sentence should have 'as standard' in it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now