Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Counting weeks

(7 Posts)
Hedgehead Sat 29-Mar-14 14:35:56

i had a MMC in December after what I thought was four months pregnancy. The embryo had actually died at 8 weeks but I had not had a scan because I was abroad and had no bleeding so assumed everything was fine. The miscarriage doctor I saw said that if/when I get pregnant again I must have a scan and blood tests at exactly 7.5 weeks to check that everything is fine and if it isn't they can try and see what is going on.

I conceived this month on about March 14th and I am so confused about when 7.5 weeks is. Should I be counting it since conception, therefor going to the doctor around 4th May, or counting it since my last period which was 25th February, therefore going to the doctor at 18th April? Obviously this is time sensitive is I don't want to get it wrong. When do Doctor's date a pregnancy from?

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Sat 29-Mar-14 14:38:18

I would have thought the date from last period is the standard way of dating pregnancy.

alita7 Sat 29-Mar-14 14:38:59

they would mean 7.5 weeks since conception. I think the idea is to see if there is anything that could be done to prevent it happening again if this is a recurring issue. But I doubt it is, I may be wrong but mmc is usually due to problem with the baby like chromosomal abnormalities, not your body.

lilywhite32 Sat 29-Mar-14 14:42:32

I would think they mean 7.5 weeks from the first day of your last period. That's how they date pregnancies. I had at scan 7 weeks (dated from the first day of my last period) and the heart beat could be seen then. Best of luck!

greentshirt Sat 29-Mar-14 15:54:19

7.5 weeks gestation I would expect, so not conception which is 2 weeks later (on average) So same as Moreskythanweneed says

alita7 Sat 29-Mar-14 16:27:04

Oops why did I write conception I meant last period?! Baby brain...

Hedgehead Sat 29-Mar-14 17:51:33

Thanks for replies. So we're going for 7.5 weeks since last period? He wanted me in because I have a vascular disorder which inhibits blood flow, so he needs to see around the time the placenta is being developed what is going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now